Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thanks for the replies.

to explain further, DD is weird about eating. she can be extremely picky and random. She is 9.5 mos and by far gets most her calories from breastmilk. Whereas my DS at the same age only nursed 3x a day and ate 3 square meals (8oz) plus a 4oz snack of yogurt. Also, DS had about 8 teeth at that point, and was eating stage 3 solid foods at 7mos. DD on the other hand, only has 2 teeth, cannot crawl (or even scoot), can't do the pincer grasp, so she cannot eat a lot of "advanced" foods according to all the recommendations. she seems to have a harder time eating foods, maybe due to the teeth thing. i gave her a cheerio the other day and she managed to put it in her mouth and she immediately gagged on it...i think she couldn't mash it properly and tried to swallow it. i did not have these problems with DS at all.

ti think DD does want to eat solids and i would LOVE to be able to just give her table food but she is just so random/picky about it...plus, i think she has some delay in her motor skills so it's hard for her to pick up food and self-feed. For about a month she refused being fed purees and was in love with the mesh feeder (i would put watermelon, banana, peach, apple in it)..she would go to town and suck those dry in no time and demand another one. Now, she wants nothing to do with the mesh feeder, even with her favorite fruits! However, she's not that great with picking up solids on her own. She can pick some stuff up but not very efficiently, and it seems like it takes her a long time, and she's hungry so she gets frustrated. I do wonder how people do the baby-led weaning thing where the baby self-feeds...i think i ever tried that, DD would just end up eating barely anything and would scream in frustration and just end up nursing. but then she doesn't want to be fed purees, either.

Oh and the other random thing..she loves yogurt, even when its fed to her. not purees from a jar though She obviously cannot feed herself yogurt at all (she just gets the spoon and gags herself).

Anyway, i thought about the squeeze tubes creating a dependency thing...but i also don't want DD only drinking breastmilk at this point..it can be really difficult for to always be nursing her bc she isn't getting enough solids (she's huge and drinks a ton). She nurses so often, I would guess at least 8 times a day.

I also thought about getting those pouches for DS as well and using them as an on-the-go snack in case we stay out too late and DS is getting hungry.

eta: that sili thing looks pretty nifty! i think i'd be too lazy to always be making my own purees though . though it seem like it could work well for yogurt, since both kiddos love it.
    why not? breastmilk alone is still perfect nutrition for 8.5 months. especially with her other delays, i'm not surprised at all that she prefers milk. i'd just give her some time...she will get the hang of finger foods soon enough

FWIW, we did baby led weaning and at 8.5 months, dd's main source of nutrition was definitely formula. Solids are for practice until the 12 month mark. In fact she went through a phase of almost no interest in solids at about 10 months and I was really worried, but she came back around on her own and really took off with solids almost exactly at the 12 month mark. (Oh and she never did like cheerios. I know "all" babies do, but neither of my kids ever did.)

Catherine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2