Thread: 2+ time moms...

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default 2+ time moms...

How are you preparing for baby? I feel like this is a really dumb question, but I got out DS's baby clothes this morning so I can sort through them and really can't figure out the most efficient processes. I pulled out the 0-3 month things and put them in a container, but then I have a pile of maybe things and a pile of won't work more than likely things. DS2 will be born 5 months before DS was so the season's are just off enough that I don't think most of the baby clothes are going to work. I was just hoping to be able to make a list of things I knew we would need. I'm just not sure what to do besides go digging through the clothes when we need something. I need a better preparation method I think.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds2 is 6 months behind ds1 season wise. I had kept everything and glad I did. Ds1 was big at birth and I needed a lot more for him. Since ds1 was a summer baby, he mostly lived in onesies and cotton sleepers. Ds2 lived in cotton and fleece sleepers so I just needed more. But, I found that I got a ton of use out of everything after that. Most things ds2 still hit size wise in the right season. I just had it all in bins by 0-3, 3-6, 6-9...and would pull the bins out as necessary.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm planning on doing this all this week while I'm home from work. We're in a pretty similar situation. DS was born at the end of June, and DS2 will be early February, so totally off as far as seasons go. I already have the new born and 0-3 clothes in a container together, but they've been passed around to 2 friends in the meantime, and I need to see what kind of shape they're in. Plus, a lot will be the wrong season so I'll probably need to do some buying. I'm having a sprinkle next weekend, so I expect I'll probably get clothes to supplement what I have. My plan is just to wash stuff and put it away in DS2's dresser. I know, not much of a plan.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I just had it all in bins by 0-3, 3-6, 6-9...and would pull the bins out as necessary.
    Even though my girls have been born in the complete opposite season from DS, there's been lots of things I've used with all 3. Cotton sleepers, hoodies, side snap shirts, socks, cotton pants, cotton hats, etc etc. Anything in DD2's current size that is GN enough for me is in her dresser (I don't mind her wearing blue & green sleepers) and the bins of bigger clothing in the basement.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Well, I've got a pretty long list these days.

Ds3 is the same season as my first two, but looks like he might start out a lot larger. Yay! We've reached the point of "setting up" for Ds3's arrival, but the last few weeks/months have been about acquiring some of these things since we gave away a lot.

1. Wash and sort clothing. Organize dresser. Put first 2 sizes in dresser drawers (have 2 sizes packed in hospital bag). Have follow-up sizes in nearby storage bin.
    I aim to have sizes 0-6 mo ready.
    2. Check out car seat for expiration date, mold/mildew, missing parts, readjust straps to lowest setting, put receiving blankets in it for head support
    3. Set up changing table station: changing pad + extra covers, diapers, wipes, burp cloths, change of clothes, swaddle blankets, garbage can and extra plastic bags nearby. Hang mobile overhead.
    4. Fix lighting in all rooms (extra small lamps and nightlights).
    5. Write out instructions about care of Ds1 and Ds2 while we're at hospital: their routines. Pack their bags.
    6. Wash and set-up crib with plain sheet. Place swaddle blankets nearby. Add mobile(s), sleep sheep. Prep bassinet for our room.
    7. Add baby towels, washcloths, baby tub to linen closet.
    8. Pull out bouncy seat and swing. Make space for them in various rooms. Be sure to have enough safe places to set down baby out of reach of Ds2.
    9. Get CD player or white noise machine for 2nd room.
    10. Check out breast pump, wash bottles, get milk bags ready for freezing.
    11. Put together box of new toys/surprises for Ds2 and Ds1 to keep busy during crazy first few weeks.
    12. Read books about newborn photography and collect supplies to do my own photo shoot.
    13. Prepare birth announcements with all but photos so they are ready to print or send (via email).
    14. Line up help for me and plan for easy meals when we're first home.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

All of my kids needed a certain amount of new things. My first 2 were born in the same season, but dd2 was in preemie sizes at first, so I had to buy those. Later on I discovered that dd1 was tall and skinny and dd2 short and chubby. Sharing clothes was not going to work. My third child was a boy and he needed all new clothes. DD3 was a summer baby and my older girls were winter babies, so that didn't work either.

For all of my subsequent kids, I pulled out white onsies, socks, pjs, and unisex clothes like jeans.