Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which bike for 6yo girl?

DD turns 6 next month and has mastered her balance bike... can you recommend the best bike for her.

You'll need to figure out what size fits her. My ds is tall and was using a 20 inch bike at that age. He had a Trex Jet 20 we were quite happy with. He is eight and a half now and Santa just brought him a 24 inch Trex with gears.

Catherine

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My DD is short and DS1 is average to maybe a little short.

DD has a 16 in Trek Mystic, and DS1 has a Giant bike (he test drove a Giant and a Trek and preferred the Giant).

Specialized also makes good kids' bikes. I would recommend going to a bike shop for a proper fitting.

eta: since price has come up in this thread, we found both used, which may be an option. DH is a cyclist so he checked out the mechanics of the bike before buying. The mystic was 19.xx at sal val and the Giant was like new for about 100 bucks via CL (seller had a Trek too that DS1 tried, but it needed new wheel bearings). Our kids ride a lot and dh is into cycling, so we prefer a better brand, even if 2nd hand, to a less expensive brand of bike.
    Last edited by brittone2; 12-28-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

DS rode his 16" for maybe 2 years and now has a 20". Depending on your finances and how much riding your daughter may do, we had no problems with the Next brand bike at Walmart which fit our budget much better than the higher-end bikes often recommended. The 20" is also a Next brand bike. If he trashes this one or really gets into his bike, we'll look at the other brands for his next bike when the time comes. This is not his "forever" bike.
    Last edited by rlu; 12-28-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

My DD also has a Trek Mystic and we're very happy with it. We purchased it at a local bike shop and they have a trade-in program where you can apply up to 60% of the original cost of the bike to a new purchase of a larger size bike....makes the cost a little less over the biking career!

For longevity, I'd go with a 20" bike. (We've been very happy with our Specialized bikes; they're lighter than the Trek's, and have been easier for our "newbies" to ride.) My tall DD#1 has been riding a 20" bike for the past year (since she turned 5); her average sized (newly) 7-year old friend got a 20" bike this summer (IIRC, it's a Next brand from Walmart), and both do just fine.

I copied this from my reply to Catherine (crl)'s post a couple of weeks ago:
    Quote Originally Posted by mommytoC View Post
    I think this is a reasonable (sizing) guide, bearing in mind that 18" bikes aren't commonly found:
    http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtor...bike_sizes.htm

For reference, my DD#1 rode her 16" bike from 38.5 to 46.5" (age 2.5 to 5). HTH!
    Re: pricing, we've bought new bikes (past-year's models) on sale at our local bike shop for $120 (Specialized 16") and $150 (Specialized 20" Coaster).
    Last edited by mommytoC; 12-29-2011 at 03:36 PM.
    A, mommytoC (DD#1, born 11/05)...and to K (DD#2, born 4/09)!

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just bought DD a specialized for Xmas from a local bike shop. They have a nice trade in program which will off-set a bit of the price we paid. They also have some really nice 20" bikes that are used and in the $100-150 range. These are higher end bikes that IMO you could see on CL after you're done and recoup a little $$.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

KHF is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommytoC View Post
    For longevity, I'd go with a 20" bike. (We've been very happy with our Specialized bikes; they're lighter than the Trek's, and have been easier for our "newbies" to ride.)
    This was my thinking too, when I bought a 20" Specialized Hotrock for my DD. One year later, she still refuses to ride it because it's too big and she doesn't feel comfortable on it. I'm giving up on it for now, and going to go to Walmart to buy her a cheap 16" bike to get her through till she's ready for the Specialized. Her brother got a 12" Cars bike for Christmas and we can't keep her off of that one.

If your DC is not super-comfortable on bikes, I'd think twice before skipping the 16" bike.
    DD - 2005
    DS - 2008

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

How big is the balance bike? I'm picturing ours, which is quite small. Going from that to a 20" would be a HUGE change.

DS1 got a 20" at age 6 and I expect DD will this summer as well. But, they were both on 2-wheel, no training wheel bikes from 3.5-4 years old and went through 12 and 16" bikes to get there.
    Kris

DS juuuuust fits on the Trek Jet 20 - it had the lowest seat height of the 20" bikes we looked at. We wanted the 20" so that it would last longer, and also b/c most 16" bikes aren't that great. We wanted him to have a bike with a handbrake and coaster brakes. The 20" will last him a few years, and he'll be ready for a 24" with gears by the time he outgrows it.

FTR, DS came from a 12" bike. It took him about half an hour to get used to the bigger bike.

ETA: DS is average/slightly below average height, not quite 6.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast