Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Thanks!

Well DD is just now comfortable on her 12" balance bike... She would prefer for a long time riding her hand me down giant european trike that my mother in law gave her.

I have been searching craigslist and have found an almost new 16" specialized bike for $50.

I think I may go with it considering how much bigger the 20" look compared to what she is used to...

I figure if we only keep it until this summer I should be able to sell it for close to $50 when we are done.

Does that sound reasonable? I don't think I would buy a new 16" bike but I think for $50 (and the name brand that I should be able to resell) it seems okay. And then I can look for a good used 20" either this summer or fall - or even let Santa do it next year.

She is 44" tall.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legomama View Post
    Well DD is just now comfortable on her 12" balance bike... She would prefer for a long time riding her hand me down giant european trike that my mother in law gave her.

I have been searching craigslist and have found an almost new 16" specialized bike for $50.

I think I may go with it considering how much bigger the 20" look compared to what she is used to...

I figure if we only keep it until this summer I should be able to sell it for close to $50 when we are done.

Does that sound reasonable? I don't think I would buy a new 16" bike but I think for $50 (and the name brand that I should be able to resell) it seems okay. And then I can look for a good used 20" either this summer or fall - or even let Santa do it next year.

She is 44" tall.
    I don't think she is tall enough for a 20 inch. Buying the 16 inch Specialized is a great choice. So light. DS1 has it and loves it. We are hoping it will make it through the summer but we aren't hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I don't think she is tall enough for a 20 inch. Buying the 16 inch Specialized is a great choice.

Given her riding history, and her height, I'd definitely go with the 16". It sounds like you found a great deal .
    Last edited by mommytoC; 12-29-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    A, mommytoC (DD#1, born 11/05)...and to K (DD#2, born 4/09)!

The 16" specialized hot rock has been a success! Within 5 minutes she was riding it down the street on here own. Now we just need to work out stopping.

Thanks.

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by legomama View Post
    The 16" specialized hot rock has been a success! Within 5 minutes she was riding it down the street on here own. Now we just need to work out stopping.

Thanks.
    Yay for balance bikes! FWIW, my daughter really never did well with the coaster brake on her 16" bike (which she rode for about 1.5 years.) She often tried to put her foot down, like she did with the balance bike.

She just got upgraded to a 20" specialized for Christmas and has been loving the handbrake that now goes along with it.
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2