Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default LeapFrog Fridge Phonics letters-choking hazards? and other questions

the ILs bought DS a set for Christmas. I think it's pretty cool and I know DS will love it (he loves letters). But, the issue is we are worried about the letters being potential choking hazards for DD.

ours is the set with uppercase letters, if that matters...
    http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Fridg.../dp/B000096QNK

The box says age 2 and up. But then on amazon says not for 3 and under due to choking hazards. I am not worried at all about DS (he stopped putting non-food items in his mouth at 15 mos), but about 9mo DD...she puts every toy she gets in her mouth.

We tried the toilet paper roll test, and it fit through..but still, it looks kinda big for a baby to choke on..what do you think??

Also, we have a SS fridge, so we couldn't use it there anyway..though i was thinking getting the easel attachment (it has a magnetic side, right?) for the Learning Tower and using it there in the kitchen, where DD is less likely to be playing...do u think that's doable??

We got that toy as a 1st birthday gift for DD1, and it never occurred to me that they could be a choking hazard. I think they're totally fine, and that Amazon needs to adjust their product description.

Green Tea, mom to three

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS1 got the older version years ago and they've never been put away. I don't think they're choking hazzards.

Do you have a metal exterior door? Our letters are there.
    Kris

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD has it and I would never have thought to worry about the letters being chocking hazards. They end up all over the floor and its noisy but it was well loved.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If the fridge doesn't work, try the dishwasher Our old house had a stainless steel dishwasher but it was a lower "quality" SS and had just enough of an iron content that magnets stuck!

The LT easel does have a magnetic side...that sucker is so expensive though.

I know the ones DS1 had wouldn't have been a choking hazard but I believe the newer ones are smaller. I'm still not positive that they would be a choking hazard but maybe keep them off the fridge/dishwasher unless you are in there with DS
    Colleen
    Mom to 2 DS (5/'04 and 1/'09)

I think the choking hazard would be the on/off switch breaking off. We have a newer one, and there's no way that would fit into anyone's throat, they barely fit into a mouth.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

thanks everyone! yeah, i didn't think they could be either, but just wanted to be safe since amazon mentioned it, and then it did fit inside a TP roll (but i know the TP roll test is REALLY conservative).

now, the quest on where to put them! i'll have to test the dishwasher!

i do want to get the LT easel side though, after looking at it...

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Is the side of your fridge SS (and accessible)? Only the front of our fridge is SS so we have the manetic toys stuck to the side.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

ok now that i got the kiddos in bed i can reply more

KrisM - about exterior door, that's a great idea.though unfortunately the only metal door is the door to the backyard which is mostly window (not much surface) so that wouldn't work great suggestion though!

twowhat? - didn't think of that, that's a great idea...i checked our SS dishwasher but that wouldn't hold the magnets. i checked all SS appliances and no luck..though our SS SimpleHuman trash can worked..LOL! too bad that's not the best place i want the kiddos to be playing...

jerigirl - thanks, I actually had thought of it since the fridge sides aren't SS...but unfortunately neither side is accessible by kiddos. one side is completely against a wall, the other side is against the counter/cabinets, with the upper half exposed (this where we put our own fridge magnets, etc) but obviously the kids could not reach it.

i am thinking of getting a magnetic surface to mount somewhere in the kitchen where these can be used..am looking at the LT easel..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast