Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to go?

Default Where to go?

We are a family of 3 - us and a 6 y.o. DD. I won round trip plane tickets to anywhere in 49+Canada and we are wanting to do a big (2 week) trip out west. Our ideas was either something including either yellowstone or yosimite. Suggestions, ideas, anything would be appreciated....

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

San Diego (Sea World, Zoo, Wild Animal Park, great place for kid travel) and Anaheim (DLand). With that much time you could also do the Grand Canyon.

Or, stick to the CA coast and do San Diego, Anaheim, and them my favorite sleepy little CA town, Avila Beach. We love Avila Lighthouse Suites....right on the beach, breakfast included, tiny little beach town. 2 weeks would be perfect for this itinerary.

2 weeks is way too much time for Yellowstone, and it's kind of isolated. Yosemite is beautiful, but crazy busy.

Is "49+ Canada" including Alaska? Alaska and western Canada would be nice in July. You'd have enough time for a cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver to Alaska.

I LOVE Yellowstone. It's definitely good for a whole week. If you like the wide open west, I think you could build a trip around Yellowstone and the vicinity. Do you all like to raft or mountain bike or kayak or fish? Lots of outdoors activities in the west.

Yosemite is nothing compared to Yellowstone. But it is closer to other things. You could do San Francisco and Yosemite or Tahoe and Yosemite. . . . .

Catherine

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Vancouver & Whistler - stunningly beautiful and you can do city and mountains.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I am leaning towards yellowstone and surrounding area. Maybe Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton..... Oh, museum of the Rockies (hubbies wish). We have kayaked, camped some (I don't do primitive), hiking, I guess we are kind of outdoorsy people. What time of year. I teach so June and July, are my off months. I would prefer June.

Make sure you spend some time around Jackson. We love it in that area. I'd go with July or early August. It's still cold there in June.

Quote Originally Posted by geochick View Post
    Make sure you spend some time around Jackson. We love it in that area. I'd go with July or early August. It's still cold there in June.
    I agree.

Catherine

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Go to jackson hole in the summer. So much to do- hiking, rafting, canoeing, alpine slide, etc. You can also then drive to yellowstone for an overnight. If interested I can give you restaurant recs.

ETA: go in july. june can be muddy, and aug brings in the RVs and lots more tourists.

What about early July? Does 4th July affect the area? Here is what we are thinking:

Glacier NP 2 days
    Travel day glacier to Bozeman
    Museum of Rockies 1 day
    Yellowstone 6 days
    Grand Teton 2 days
    Travel back to airport 1 day

Any suggestions for which airport? We will be flying out of ATL.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast