Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    azazela is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    We have always just used a regular trash can and never had smell problems, even if we don't empty daily.
    Yeah same here x 2 kids. We have these, one in each room.
    Anna, mommy to DD 11/06 and DS 3/10

We only use a trash can. Just now has DD started with the stinkies. Those go directly to the garbage. Haven't wished for or missed not having the diaper genies/champs/etc

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We used one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Sim...5288885&sr=1-1

I think it was maybe $10 at the time? (Early 2008 DD was born!)

Pretty cheap, takes regular trash bags, just used a little soda or cleaned out with simple green to keep stink down. We emptied fairly regularly.

I'd say just do a regular can!

I have used the Dekor Plus for DC1 and DC2. It cuts down more on the smell than a normal trash can and is not a PITA like the Genie. I have really liked it. It has a lid that you open with your foot and another opening with lid that you drop the diaper through. So, dual smell barrier.
    Good luck!

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Another dissenting voice here. We have two changing stations - one upstairs and one downstairs. The downstairs station gets the most day action; the upstairs station the most night action.

The station downstairs has a Diaper Genie II Elite that is used exclusively for diapers with poop. Most poopy diapers get changed down there. We empty it once a week and find it easy to deal with (open Genie, put refill down, cut full bag off and knot, tie knot in refill end and close). I keep a Bath & Body scent thingy right by the Genie and we have not had any smell problems. We go through about one refill every six weeks or so at this point, so the cost has been pretty reasonable.

Pee diapers from downstairs go into the kitchen trash, which is emptied every 48 to 72 hours. We have not had any problems with smell.

Pee diapers from upstairs accumultate in a plastic trash can lined with a plastic grocery bag that we replace every 2-4 days. Again, no smell problems yet. Poopy diapers from upstairs get run downstairs and dropped in Genie.

DS is just starting solids, so all bets may be off once we get into veggies. That said, Genie did a great job during DS's recent bout of diarrhea; we could not have gotten through that without it!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We never used a diaper pail - just a regular garbage pail with lid and kept in the garage. Poop diapers got emptied in the toilet first, then rolled up and tossed in the garbage pail. Pee diapers just got rolled up and tossed in the pail.

On trash days, we'd just hold our breath, open the pail and empty the bag
    Last edited by twowhat?; 01-06-2012 at 02:09 PM.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We don't have a special diaper pail. We just put wet diapers into the bathroom or kitchen trash. Poopy diapers get put in a bag and then into the kitchen trash which gets taken out every day or two.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Disposab...5873198&sr=8-1

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had a Diaper Champ with #1 and loved it, never had an issue with odor. Then they redesigned them and there were a lot more reviews that said the quality went down/stink factor went up.

So with DD2 I got a Diaper Genie II. I LOVE that thing!! They share a room, and you never notice a smell. I empty it about once a week (poop diapers and all). I get my refills through amazon for about $16 for 3 refills/box, and I have them coming every 2 months only because the next option is every 6 months. My last order came Dec. 9th and I currently have 8 rolls in the closet. I may skip the next delivery.

In the end, using regular trash bags doesn't cut down on bag cost, because you end up buying more trash bags. So it comes down to convenience - and IMO, I prefer to deal with diapers once a week vs having to change a diaper pail at least once a day.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

With DS (half breast and half formula fed), we put all the diapers in the kitchen trash. No problem. It went out often enough anyways that the smell was not a problem.

With DD (formula fed), we have a trash can in her room right next to the changing table. We dump pee diapers in there and they go out once a week or occasionally more often when we feel it is getting stinky. Poop diapers are bagged into a plastic grocery bag and tossed in the kitchen trash, which gets taken out when full.

I do not find this uses an excessive amount of extra trash bags vis a vis what we'd use otherwise.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

I love my Diaper Genie and DH and I repeatedly discuss how it was one of our best baby purchases. Baby poop freaking stinks and the diaper genie contains the smell beautifully. We live in a three level town house so taking out the trash is a PITA. With the Genie, I only take the diapers out once a week on trash night. Otherwise they stay in the room and you don't smell a thing.

You could always buy one later if you decide you need one. FWIW, I always get the refills on sale and don't find them to be expensive at all. One of them lasts us for a a few months.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast