Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default IKEA cribs seem awfully short!

So the hubby and I had thought to get a simple IKEA crib but the height doesn't even reach the top of our legs! I am afraid it will get very old, very fast to bend that far over all the time to get the baby?

Anyone tall with an IKEA crib? Would love to hear thoughts/feedback.

Thank you!

That's actually why we didn't get an ikea crib. Instead we bought a simple delta crib that was on sale for $100. The height is better for us. I'm 5'7" and DH is 6'3".

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, we're on the shorter side, 5'4" and 5'9". Our experience was that the mattress was raised until about when DD could sit up. At that point we lowered it. Very soon after, she was pulling to stand, so most of the time we were lifting her out while she was standing (so not bending down too far). We also always put her down while she was still awake (I nursed until drowsy instead of until sleep)...so looking back on it, no, it really didn't seem like a problem.
    I do have several friends who opted for taller cribs and then have had to get stools for the moms to be able to reach the kiddos once the mattress is dropped.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We briefly looked st them in 2006 for DD1 and thought the same thing, but we're more concerned about them being so short that the baby would be climbing out of it in no time. We ended up using a dropside crib with all metal hardware for both of our girls and DD1 didn't learn how to climb out of it until she was 2/1/2.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have the IKEA Gulliver crib. DH is 6'2" & I'm 5'8". Honestly we've never had a problem with the height, although it's the only crib we've ever had so maybe it's just a lack of comparison. When DD was little we had the mattress up on the higher setting, so didn't have to bend down at all, and now that she's bigger she just stands up for us to pick her up.

She's 20 months old and hasn't yet climbed out of the crib (although she's quite a climber and has climbed onto her dresser, the dining room table, bookshelves, etc).

All in all, I'm sure we'll get a second IKEA crib for DC#2.

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I should have added to my earlier post: If the worry is about the child climbing out, the sides of the ikea cribs are at least as tall as those of other cribs. DD, who is really tall, actually learned to climb out of a non-Ikea crib at a friend's home before she tried it at home. And there she fell much further.

I'm five seven and dh is five ten; so we are not really tall, but not particularly short either. We have the old school Gulliver and love it. Used it as the high setting until dd could sit up, then lowered it. Soon there after she could stand and I always pick her up and put her down with her standing. As far as a kid climbing out, I really don't think the mattress to crib rail height is any shorter than other cribs, it just sits lower on the floor.

Catherine

For DD1 we got a westwood- and have loved it- like other posters mentioned as soon as she could pull up we had to move the mattress to the lowest setting anyway.

For DD2- we are using the Westwood, but bought an ikea hensvik (sp?) for DD1 who isn't ready to move up yet- it is lower, but not by much since we have to be on the lowest mattress setting anyway. Both DH and I are 5'8'' and haven't had an issue with either one- well, now that I have a belly it is more difficult, but I just set her in it standing and then kind of "push" her gently to a laying position.

fyi- I also measured the distance from the where the mattress sits on both because I was worried about DD1 climbing out- and the ikea is only 1 inch lower than the westwood.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have an Ikea SNIGLAR at my parents house and it does seem significantly lower than our regular crib but it has never really bothered me. I'm 5'11ish and DH is 6'6".

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am not sure if the depth of the crib determines if kids climb out or not. They are either motivated to do it or not. But, DS1 was in a very deep crib and never bothered to try to climb out, so who knows.

DS2 has the Gulliver crib. Looking at it the other day, I thought that I would be less concerned about his safety if he did climb out, because it isn't very far to fall. With DS1's crib, between the depth of the sides and the height of the legs, he really could have injured himself.

And as far as taking DS2 in and out of the Gulliver crib, it has never bothered me, and DH and I are average to tall people.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast