♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default how/where do you store & organize your DC's art/craft supplies?

I am in major cleaning/organizing mode and I need ideas! I recently started getting DS stuff like crayons, paints, markers, brushes, crafts, etc, now that he is old enough to be in to that kind of stuff. Problem is, I have no where to store it all, or how to organize it..there's just so much stuff!

We usually have him do paints, crafts etc at the kitchen table (where he eats his meals) or on the kitchen island, while he's standing in the learning tower..so obviously we have to clean everything up after each time (he doesn't have a desk or anything where he can just leave stuff out).

I started getting a little wicker basket to hold arts/crafts stuff, but now there is just so much stuff, i feel like i almost need a system to organize it all!

anyway, just wondering if anyone has any ideas! TIA!

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm currently using this Sterlite 3-drawer see through cart.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-2930...5288511&sr=8-1

Inside the cart, I have separate containers for each of the various items - crayons, markers, stickers, and paintbrushes, etc. DD can open the drawers and grab whatever she wants to use.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have mason jars with colored pencils and markers that sit on the desk (family desk, not the kids' desk - they don't have one) along with a small wicker basket of crayons. Paint and everything else goes in a medium sized plastic bin in the game closet. They have easy access to some stuff (crayons, markets, colored pencils), need to ask for anything more involved.

Wish I had more of a system, but for now I'm just storing things in a 4x2 Expedit in our 'front room' (casual living room)...
    Just yesterday, in fact, DH and I stopped at the Container Store and got 6 of their Accessory Boxes (clear plastic containers- Container Store brand); I think they're 7.5 inches long and they were $1.69 each- at the front of the store. 12 of them actually fit perfectly inside one of the cubes of the Expedit (I didn't remember what people get to fit inside theirs, so I just guessed at these).

I have room for 12 of the boxes/ containers inside each section of the Expedit; right now I only have 6 boxes so I have crayons in one box, markers in another (the reg. size Crayola ones fit perfectly; the long & skinny ones are too long), glue sticks & kid scissors in another, stamps in another, ink pads in another, and 2 more boxes of 64 count crayons in another (back-ups for the other box of broken & mismatched crayons that are currently in rotation ). I want to get at least 6 more boxes to fit little foam sticker things (I've got 3 bins of those), beads, paints, maybe some ribbon or yarn, etc. But then I need longer boxes to fit things like pipe cleaners, the longer markers, and possibly Legos (or something else, since those aren't exactly crafts).

Good luck! Doesn't it feel great to organize, especially after the holidays?!
    Last edited by ourbabygirl; 12-30-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: ETA name of boxes

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I have a lower cabinet for art stuff. In it, I have Sterilite Modular Latch boxes of various sizes. They're from Walmart and are $1-$5 each. One size is perfect for coloring books and paper. Another holds markers. Another holds dot paint. They stack nicely.

This is the only one I could find online: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-of-6/15442444
    Kris

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have 2 sterilite containers. One holds "everyday" type items...markers, crayons, stamps, coloring books. The other holds "project" items...glue, eyes, pipe cleaners, paints, glitter, foam paper, etc. The everyday bin is stored on our trofast in the living room along with the toys. The project bin is stored in our coat closet. W/in the everyday bin I have a couple pencil cases (the softside zip kind) that keep crayons, markers, and stamps sorted and organized.

It's not ideal, but it works for us. It keeps me from collecting too much crafty stuff, keeps me weeding things out (like the coloring book with all but 2 pages colored on), and it keeps it out of sight.

ETA: if you have a lot of things I would suggest going over to No Time For Flashcards. She's got a great supply list plus search for her post on how she organizes her craft items.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Our amount and type of supplies really picked up again this year. Art seemed to have waned during 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 but it's back in a big way for her.

We use a combination of the big Sterilite drawers mentioned before, with tins and other plastic containers for separating out play-dough tools, markers, glue, stickers, etc. I have used magazine holders for standard size paper and coloring books, and those work well. I've been keeping an eye out for inexpensive armoires or storage cabinets on CL and I'm hoping to move a lot of the games and craft supplies - anything that needs to be done on our kitchen table to keep it away from DS - into that once we have it.
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11

I just bought the Bygel rod and cups at ikea.

http://www.thecitypantry.com/bygel.html

I am going to hand it on the wall by the dc's art table and put crayons, markers, glue sticks, etc in the cups. I bought 6 cups.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HonoluluMom View Post
    I'm currently using this Sterlite 3-drawer see through cart.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-2930...5288511&sr=8-1

Inside the cart, I have separate containers for each of the various items - crayons, markers, stickers, and paintbrushes, etc. DD can open the drawers and grab whatever she wants to use.
    This is the way I do it too. DD can get what she needs if she wants to be creative. If she wants paints or glue, she has to ask me Holds a lot of stuff.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08