nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Zucchini/carrot/oat muffins

I made some muffins last night to use up some zucchini and try to get some more oats into my diet for milk supply, and these turned out great. They are not overly sweet, and they have a fair bit of veggies in them. Here is the recipe (adapted from allrecipes.com Zucchini Yogurt Multigrain muffins):

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used regular AP for this, since I was using so much oat flour, but next time I'll try to sub in white whole wheat flour)
    1 1/2 cups oat flour (I just whirred regular rolled oats in my blender until pretty fine - probably took between 2 and 2 1/2 cups oats to make that amount of oat flour)
    1 1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 tablespoon Penzey's baking spice (but you could sub in cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. to your liking)
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
    1/2 cup shredded carrots (I think you could do any combination of zucchini or carrots to make around 2 cups)
    1/2 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
    handful of raisins

Makes 24 standard muffins (plus I had enough leftover for two jumbo muffins in a separate tin). Bake at 350 for around 20 minutes.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

i made a batch-and-a-half of these today - a friend just gave birth a few days ago. i got 42 muffins.

i'm bringing her 2 dozen and kept the rest here - DS loves them!

thanks for posting - super yummy
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Glad you liked them! I just bought some more zucchini to make another batch.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

These sound great, we love muffins around here! Thanks for posting, I am going to give these a try.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I finally got around to making these, they are pretty good. I made some changes so I think I cut out too much sugar, LOL. DD2 approved, though, which is a good thing! A little tweaking for next time and they should be great! Thanks again for posting.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Thanks for posting these. I made these last night and this morning DD told me that they were the "best muffins ever" and ate two in about minutes.
    DD '06
    DD '14

I saw a post for spinach muffins on a blog, so I am going to make another batch today and try to sneak some spinach in, too. I'll update how it goes!
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

Ooh, I made spinach muffins for DD and my 12 yo nephew a month ago and they LOVED them. They acted like they were a dessert. I used the Deceptively Delicious recipe and it was a huge hit. They didn't even mind the green color.
    DD '06
    DD '14

I tried using shredded broccoli stems in a waffle recipe recently (I peeled them first and then shredded them very fine). I was surprised how there was no broccoli flavor to the waffles (disappointed, actually - I was aiming for a broccoli-cheese waffle effect).

Anyway now I've got more broccoli stems and i'm thinking that they might work well in these muffins...thanks for the recipe!