Default If I need to exchange a toy...

...and don't know where it was purchased or have a gift receipt, where's my best bet to exchange it?

I've never bothered returning or exchanging gifts that the girls have gotten for Christmas, but we have so many toys already which either collect dust or cause major stress when it's clean-up time that I really don't want to add to them. One girl got something she wants to trade for a different type of the same item, the other girl got something that we'd like to exchange for a different type of toy altogether.

I don't want cash back, and I realize that generally you get the lowest price within the past N days. We have Target, Walmart, and TRU relatively nearby. All three carry the toys we got and want to exchange. What's my best bet for an exchange? (Especially for an even exchange of just a different type of the same toy?)

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Walmart is far and away the best place in my area. I do sometimes check online to see if they have the item and what price it comes up at. In the past I have just said, "this was a gift, so I am not sure if it came from here or not, but I'd like to exchange it." Has worked almost every time without any issue.

OK, I'll definitely try Walmart first, then.

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

I was just going to ask the same thing - my question is - is there any place besides Walmart that will take returns without a receipt?
    I took in a few things tonight. Gifts the kids had no interest in/didn't need - plus one thing I lost receipt. Got $29 credit and spent $98 more- you'd think other stores might want that business too. I can't stand buying anything at ToysRUs because of poor return policy - also at least if you end up with a gift card at Walmart or Target you can buy non-toy stuff..

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have had success with Target giving me store credit for items they carry as well when we've gotten them as gifts. I also just tell them it was a gift and it's never been a problem.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Kmart takes stuff they sell back, no questions. At least they used to. Era -duh, that is not one you listed. TRU will not. Steer clear.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I meant to come back and update this! I took the gifts back to Walmart, but they didn't have the things I had planned to exchange them for in stock. So they gave me a credit for the full amount - I think Target would have said since they were on sale sometime in the past 365 days I could get approximately $0.37 for each toy.

Anyway, I looked online to see whether what the girls wanted was there. Nope. But...they had Lego Friends sets! And the vet center (which DD1 does want and was planning on buying with Christmas money) with tax and shipping came to the exact amount. To the penny. Clearly meant to be!

Now I just "owe" DD2 a Christmas gift from somewhere else.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13