Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Low frustration "action" Wii and DS games

E. is 7 years and the Lego Indiana Jones is too hard for him. He likes Mario Kart and Lego Star Wars, but I don't like the latter because you can't save until you get all the way through the level. He has Super Mario for the DS which is good.

He gets frustrated easily so I am looking for some fun games (in his mind, this means lots of action and no educational or "fit"!). I would like to get one Wii game and one DS.

I was thinking about Kirby's Epic Yarn for Wii.

Can someone comment on the Sonic games and the difficulty level?

Thank you!!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Outdoor Challenge, if you have an older Wii with the ports. Super fun!! Just Dance has been a hit around here too for the Wii.

Sorry, no ideas on the DS or Kirby.

We have a new Wii so Outdoor Challenge won't work with it, right?

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We just got a Wii for Christmas and so far DS's favorite game is Kirby's Epic Yarn. I really like that Kirby never "dies", so it's great for young kids. I bet your DS would love it. I bought it on recs from BBB. We'll be getting the other Kirby games as well.

I'd also like to try Lego Star Wars but given the E/10+ rating, I'm concerned that it would be too hard and frustrating for my 4.5 yo DS.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by KDsMommy View Post
    We just got a Wii for Christmas and so far DS's favorite game is Kirby's Epic Yarn. I really like that Kirby never "dies", so it's great for young kids. I bet your DS would love it. I bought it on recs from BBB. We'll be getting the other Kirby games as well.

I'd also like to try Lego Star Wars but given the E/10+ rating, I'm concerned that it would be too hard and frustrating for my 4.5 yo DS.
    The Star Wars is easier than Indiana Jones, but I would wait at least a year or 2 before getting it for your son.
    Last edited by toby; 01-02-2012 at 02:02 PM.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I asked my 7 yr old what his favorite DS games are. He said pokemon black and white, glory of heracles, dragon quest and his mario games. He does NOT do well with the wii, he's not very coordinated. However, he does ok with his DS than the wii.

DS2 who is 6 says his favorite dS games are, mario go kart, mario party, star wars & indiana jones. The big difference is that DS1 is a big reader, so he likes adventure games. DS2 is still learning how to read, so can't play a lot of the games DS1 likes.

My kids aren't big fans of wii. They prefer to watch my DH and I play wii usually. Although I have to admit, the new skylander's game that they got for christmas on the wii is great. They love it and don't seem to have too much trouble navigating it. I'm thinking your son may like it too. You do have to use the numchucks with the regular controller though, so if you think that would be too confusing, maybe it's something you should wait on.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I asked my 7 yr old what his favorite DS games are. He said pokemon black and white, glory of heracles, dragon quest and his mario games. He does NOT do well with the wii, he's not very coordinated. However, he does ok with his DS than the wii.

DS2 who is 6 says his favorite dS games are, mario go kart, mario party, star wars & indiana jones. The big difference is that DS1 is a big reader, so he likes adventure games. DS2 is still learning how to read, so can't play a lot of the games DS1 likes.

My kids aren't big fans of wii. They prefer to watch my DH and I play wii usually. Although I have to admit, the new skylander's game that they got for christmas on the wii is great. They love it and don't seem to have too much trouble navigating it. I'm thinking your son may like it too. You do have to use the numchucks with the regular controller though, so if you think that would be too confusing, maybe it's something you should wait on.
    Thanks for all of this info. DS can use the numchuck and controller so Skylanders is a possibility, but I am confused by it. All of the ones that I see are expensive and look like they come with some toy or something. Can you please explain?!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    Thanks for all of this info. DS can use the numchuck and controller so Skylanders is a possibility, but I am confused by it. All of the ones that I see are expensive and look like they come with some toy or something. Can you please explain?!
    It's basically an adventure game. However, you can collect characters and use them in the game. There is a, "pad" that you place the character you want to play with and then they appear on the tv screen. The starter gift would be what I consider a big gift (ie: bday/xmas gift), and then of course, you can add on to the game with characters by getting those extra sets. I already know DS1 will probably get another skylander's character pack for his bday in Feb. It looks fun. I haven't played it, but my boys love it. You can play multi-player and of course it just seems to add an extra element of fun that you can collect different figures and then use those characters to play on the wii.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Skylanders is tons of fun. I have been playing it nearly everyday since Christmas. You need the figures in order to play they game, and will need at least one figure of every "element" (8 in total) to completely finish the game. The three figures which are included in the starter packs are enough to get you well on your way in the game though. It is pretty simple navigation and controls. Both my DC enjoy watching as I play and help with switching characters when needed. The characters activate by placing them on a wireless reader, and you can switch between characters at pretty much any point during play. Each character gains experience points and you can purchase better skills with the coins earned in the game. Most stores have a special Skylanders display with a video showing how the game works.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we have sonic winter olympics and DS (4) loves it and is really good at it. Also, kirby's epic yarn is fun for me! DS loves sports resort a lot as well as mario kart.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast