Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How often do kids play with the American Girl accesories?

I am thinking of the historical dolls. I am really in love with all the little details and could drop some serious cash on ebay for Samantha's stuff but will DD play with it? She loves the dolls but does she need the other stuff. I do have some of the school bag and lunch stuff but she doesn't do much with it, but she is on the young end.
    Am I just living vicariously and should let it go?

My girls (ages 9 and 7) don't play with any of the AG accessories we've purchased. They like the clothes, and still play with baby doll stuff like cribs and carriers and strollers, but the AG accessories (while ADORABLE!) have gotten zero action over the years.
    Green Tea, mom to three

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    My girls (ages 9 and 7) don't play with any of the AG accessories we've purchased. They like the clothes, and still play with baby doll stuff like cribs and carriers and strollers, but the AG accessories (while ADORABLE!) have gotten zero action over the years.
    This is my experience with my DDs (ages 8 and 6). They use the clothing and the dolls, but are not really into the accessories.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Growing up I loved the accessories and used them often in setting up scenes (it helps to have the furniture). I have all my AG stuff boxed and saved for DD when she is old enough.

I think it depends on the child if they'll use them or not.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD Loves the accessories, but isn't into the clothes very much.

We've been know to have to wait to head out snowshoeing until her American girl doll was snowshoeing as well...

We have a historical doll, but purchase any accessory for it since we will only be getting one 18" doll. Of course, the mini's get more play in this house...

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    DD Loves the accessories, but isn't into the clothes very much.

We've been know to have to wait to head out snowshoeing until her American girl doll was snowshoeing as well...

We have a historical doll, but purchase any accessory for it since we will only be getting one 18" doll. Of course, the mini's get more play in this house...
    Here, too. The only clothes DD really likes are those that go with accessories or has a theme - a skating outfit with the skates, pajamas with robe and slippers, etc. She got the wheelchair/crutches, the baking center, and table/chairs for Christmas and they've had daily play. She got a backpack in September and it gets played with regularly too.
    Kris

when i was younger, i had ONE doll and all the accessories/clothes-- those were the priority to me (and to my mother)-- the extra stuff. i was a bit older and did use the stuff/change my doll's clothes (i had samantha)

i've noticed that nowadays kids seem to have multiple dolls and less of the "stuff"-- as a result AG makes less stuff and the stuff the make isn't quite as nice as it used to be (this has also been blamed on mattel)

as an adult, i'm still pretty into the "stuff" aspect of the dolls. even though i had a historical growing up , my mother would pick up "today" outfits/accessories when she thought they were particularly relevant to me-- horse riding outfit (i took lessons) , the violin/recital outfit (i was in piano, but she just thought that set was really cute), i wanted the new year's outfit so i got that,etc.

I love hearing others experiences. I am so addicted! I love the little stuff and since DD is only 5 she is into changing clothes and I haven't really given her the accesories that I did get. I have a couple dolls that I bought off ebay for her and have saved. I do only like the historical dolls.
    I have my eye on a Samantha collection and was wondering if I am going overboard and she won't even care.
    She doesn't like putting them in contemporary outfits unless they are pajamas that match hers. I do like that they correspond with the books (which we haven't read all).
    whew that was long!!

The accessories is what makes the dolls for us! DD has the baking set, lasagna set, breakfast in bed, doll teacups, kanani's surfboard, pet bathtub, etc. She does have some clothes but the accessories are played with daily...even with other dolls or stuffed animals.

I will have to look for some food. I do laugh at some of the accesories because I think "How could they use them?" Like a tennis raquet.
    Does anyone have any non-american girl sites they recommend to buy stuff?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast