Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has anyone tried intermittent fasting?

A FB friend mentioned she was trying The 8 Hour Diet. I had never heard of it but I started looking into it and it sounds like there is some legitimate science behind it and I've noticed by accident I've eaten similarly (but not consistently) and felt good (and lost weight).

It seems to be very similar (based on) to info at leangains.com.

FWIW I have diabetes and although traditional wisdom says I should eat every few hours, I find if I don't start eating "breakfast" until 12 or so (after exercising) and then have my meals from that point I'm not hungry or shaky and it seems to work for me. I'm thinking of trying this out more officially, and it seems like something that I'd be able to stick with...just thought I'd check if anyone had experience with it.
    Debbie

boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've read a it about this but have never tried it. I know there are some on myfitnesspal who do this so you might be able to search for info there. I've thought about giving it a shot myself. I not diabetic but I have noticed the very same thing about delaying my first meal of the day. If I eat early, I have to eat on a schedule or my blood sugar drops and I get shaky. If I just wait or skip breakfast, I'm fine until whenever. I've never understood it.
    Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm on my second week. I've read the book and a few of the original articles referenced. It's a decent summary of the scientific literature but the author makes some claims beyond what the studies actually say. I've always skipped breakfast and if I make to 11am I can make to 1pm without eating so I thought it would be a good choice for me, too. I don't have any trouble with the eight hour eating window at all. At the same time, I haven't dropped any weight. I'm giving it six weeks and if I haven't lost anything I will try to increase the fast time to 18 hours and exercise in the 16-18th hour of the fast.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

I probably end up exercising about the 14th hour of fasting so I know that may be too early for my body. I'm going to try and be better about finishing eating earlier (I had wanted to do that anyway) and see how it goes. Much of it makes sense for things I know work for me anyway but I would need to be more official and consistent.

Like I know I could never eat Paleo as much as it sounds healthy...but I know I wouldn't/couldn't keep it up. It's just not the way my lifestyle works right now. This I think fits. And if it makes me feel better (and lose weight!) all the better.

I'm also aiming to stop carb consumption by about 5 pm--though the 20 Hershey kisses I ate the other night kind of counteracted that.
    Debbie

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Interesting article about intermittent fasting in WaPo.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...9ee_story.html
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sidmand View Post
    I probably end up exercising about the 14th hour of fasting so I know that may be too early for my body. I'm going to try and be better about finishing eating earlier (I had wanted to do that anyway) and see how it goes.
    I hadn't thought of that! I finish eating around 8 and today with my schedule it will be 9pm. So I've been exercising in the 13th or 14th hour regularly. If I switch to an 18 hour fast it would make sense to just finish eating earlier than to start eating later in terms of exercise.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've been interested in it for years as a way to help with insulin sensitivity since I have PCOS, but I've been pg or BFing for the last 9.5 years, and don't want to do it while nursing. I know my supply drops if I skip meals, etc. It is on my radar though and has been for a while.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Because I have to wait after taking my thyroid meds in the morning, I almost always wait to eat my first food till around noon. I'll take a look at more of the info and see if what I'm doing fits in.

Sounds interesting and do-able...can someone outline the general parameters? Is it to eat for 8 hours within a 24 hour period? And is this every day of the week, or is this several times a week?

Would coffee be ok during the fasting times? If I could drink coffee (with cream) in the am I could totally make it till 10 or 11am without food....

Quote Originally Posted by turtle12 View Post
    Sounds interesting and do-able...can someone outline the general parameters? Is it to eat for 8 hours within a 24 hour period? And is this every day of the week, or is this several times a week?

Would coffee be ok during the fasting times? If I could drink coffee (with cream) in the am I could totally make it till 10 or 11am without food....
    I know coffee was one of the big questions and I believe it was ok!

You can check out the basis at www.leangains.com for free. That site is geared more toward body builders but you can get a good idea for the fundamentals there, I think.

Ah, here's the question and answer:

“Am I allowed to have coffee or tea during the fasting period? And can I put milk and sugar in it, or is that cheating?

Coffee and tea are absolutely encouraged because caffeine is an appetite suppressant. But it’s also a mild diuretic, so make sure you’re taking extra fluids to compensate. As for the milk and sugar: Yes, that’s cheating, but your secret is safe with us. It’s a minor intake of calories, but if it makes your favorite beverage go down easier, go for it. Just try to keep the additions as light as possible.”

Excerpt From:
    David Zinczenko & Peter Moore. “The 8-Hour Diet.” Rodale, 2013. iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.
    Debbie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast