Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

One of my best friends had a baby with a larger abdomen. I think that they saw it around 20-24 weeks and sent her to a larger hospital (Greenville-she was on the coast) for a more detailed ultrasound just to make sure all was OK. Ultimately there were no issues with the baby, just a big belly. He was born at 36 weeks due to premature rupture of membranes.

I did not have GD but DD was 9lb9oz and had difficulty regulating her sugar after birth. I delivered at 8:15 and did not actually hold her/nurse her until after noon. She was my longest BF baby at 13 months so even if things are not ideal for BF in the first little bit try not to stress too much about the nursing. Easier said than done I know!

Hope all goes well with both of you in the home stretch!
    Last edited by kdeunc; 01-04-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typing and talking don't mix
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Quote Originally Posted by Beth24 View Post
    Got it! Sorry my post was way too elementary on the size issue. You are clearly well versed on that. How many weeks are are you? I could figure it out but im feeling lazy, lol. Glad your baby is a girl bc of the earlier development. My DD was born at 35.5 weeks with no issues at all. Also, I definitely think you should research how they treat excess insulin production so you will know what your options are and what's the best way to go about it to protect the breastfeeding relationship. I think that they can do all the feeding with a dropper and not a bottle.
    32 week, 5 days...so I guess almost 33 weeks! I wouldn't say I am well versed on the size issue. I would say that it was a slow day at work and I am completely obsessed with the issue so I read ALOT about it today!!!!!!

My hospital does digital-syringe feeding and DH and I had to do it with DD so he will be able to do it again if he has to. I am def. going to read more about how the excess insulin issue is handled - thank you again for giving me a good jumping off point for research!!!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by kdeunc View Post
    one of my best friends had a baby with a larger abdomen. I think that they saw it around 20-24 weeks and sent her to a larger hospital (greenville-she was on the coast) for a more detailed ultrasound just to make sure all was ok. Ultimately there were no issues with the baby, just a big belly. He was born at 36 weeks due to premature rupture of membranes.

I did not have gd but dd was 9lb9oz and had difficulty regulating her sugar after birth. I delivered at 8:15 and did not actually hold her/nurse her until after noon. She was my longest bf baby at 13 months so even if things are idea for bf in the first little bit try not to stress too much about the nursing. Easier said than done i know!

hope all goes well with both of you in the home stretch!
    thank you!!!!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD was 9 lbs at birth and although I never tested positive for GD, my sugar went super high the last 2 weeks a pregnancy in all urine tests and my doctor said I had late term GD. (She was a scheduled c-section because she was transverse breech).

My DD was healthy, but she had sugar issues at birth and needed to be formula fed immediately after birth. Her sugars leveled off and she was fine after that.

If they didn't level off, she was on call to be sent to the NICU.

I wouldn't be so against formula right after birth if it can save the baby's life and prevent NICU admission.

Best of luck with everything.
    DD 11/09
    DD 06/11

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not sure if this is at all an option for you, but someone I know on another board who was type 1 diabetic and had a early delivery planned pumped colostrum while pregnant to supplement. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible!

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Have they confirmed that you have late term GD? I would consider a 2nd opinion since you still have several weeks to go.

Like I said, I was told similar things with the size (larger abdomen, close to 10lb baby at 39/40wks) but was never told of the diabetic risk. For me it was the concern over delivery (ie could get "stuck").

When DD was born she had low blood sugar (irnoically) so was formula fed righ away. I had low body temperature and so did not hold her either for an extended period until several hrs later. I was still able to bf. She is perfectly fine btw, no issues at birth or later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2