wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Anyone well versed in headaches?

Can anyone explain if this is a migraine or tension headache or both?

I typically get headaches during my period. It'll start as a dull nagging feeling that will progress to pain behind my right eye and down to the back of my neck. If I don't treat it with motrin/tylenol soon enough it will progress to a pounding that throbs/pulses when I move my head. If it gets to that point I do feel sensitive somewhat to light and noise. A mortrin will take care of it but usually it'll return 8hr or so later. Sometimes I wake up in the a.m. with the pain behind my eye already. All of this sounds like a migraine (one side, throbbing, etc) but it really isn't severe (I can function) and I don't get aura or nausea, etc with it.

So here's the weird part, lately I'll notice that I get a tightening in both of my temples. It'll be a brief few seconds where it actually feels like the muscles in that area are contracting. It doesn't hurt per se but I very clearly feel it happening and then it just stops. It doesn't necessarily happen at the time of a headache but usually the same day that I'm treating a headache. Like now for example, I've had a headache off/on today, took motrin about 3hr ago and it just happened a few minutes ago. Is this a tension headache?

Anyone with migraines find that magnesium helps? My doc told me to take 200-400mg. I've been actually taking 500mg for the past month and don't see any improvement.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Well I don't get my periods anymore (Mirena IUD) but when I did I'd get a menstrual migraine for a few days. The pain was behind my eye as you mentioned. No neck pain or temple pain for me though.

I'm allergic to asprin/ibuprofen so I would take tylenol and caffiene. Didn't do a whole lot but kept me functional. I did take some type of migraine med, but the med gave me visual auras so I stopped taking it.

The gyn at the time said that if I were to go on continuous bcp (ie. no period) I could avoid the migraines. Didn't end up doing that though.

Hadn't heard about magnesium and migraines. Hmmm. Well there are different types of magneseum (mag citrate, oxide, etc.) maybe do a little research and see if a specific type of mag is better for migraines. Good Luck!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I get the same eye ache kind of thing that goes all the way down the side of my neck. I finally tried prescription migraine meds and they have been a lifesaver!
    Don't know what to tell you about the new things with the temples though. That does not sound like a migraine to me.
    DD
    DS

I get migraines during that time too. Not every day or every month, but often enough. If I don't treat with Excedrin Migraine, I can get nausea and light sensitivity from them. I'm also allergic to ibuprofen, but the Excedrin Migraine has worked for me. Beyond that, I go to bed early in a dark room and hope that I don't wake up with it.

I think the tension headaches are more from muscles tightening in your neck/shoulder area. I get these sometimes too, but can usually find a sore or tight muscle area in my neck or shoulders when they occur. My insurance covers chiro adjustment and 30 mins of therapeutic massage for the same co-pay, so I've been taking advantage of the massages & I feel like it's helped a lot.
    -----------------------
    Karen