Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thank you ladies!! MIL always line dried all her kids clothes- she claims they last longer and hold up better. I pointed out that all of DD's clothing have been passed on to one of my SIL's who then passes it on to my other SIL. So if the clothes are holding up through 3 kids, the dryer couldn't be doing that much damage! I agree with PP's that laundry would take over my life if I had to hang each and every tshirt and pair of pants. Plus theres simply not enough room for that.

I feel better knowing that I'm not the crazy one!
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wash every single thing of clothing we own on cold and dry on low. Towels and sheets are hot or warm and dried on high. I would go batty if I had to deal with line drying (especially a knit t...they can totally take the dryer).

No, not really. I dry them on low for a few minutes, then pull them out and put them on a drying rack. I invest in good clothes and try to protect my investment (both for prolonged use and resale value). It's really no extra work at all.

I have this (I paid much less). I do laundry every day or two, otherwise it wouldn't be big enough to hold all of the kids' clothes.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-B...tation/5984252
    Last edited by Jo..; 01-04-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Of course I do! When you have 5 (make that 6 soon) people in your family, it all gets washed together and dried in the dryer together. I have to do 1-2 loads daily just stay caught up, and there's no way I could hang/lay flat all of that to dry.
    Just like you, anything fine or delicate, tights, etc. get hung up, but anything else gets thrown in the dryer.

I think back in your MIL's day, clothes were made of different fabrics and weren't so machine wash/dry friendly like they are now, so she's probably not used to the idea.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Old ladies can be weird about laundry. You're fine.
    My MIL is so weird about the dryer. When she was here, she did some laundry. She used the dryer on her fleece pj's and underwear FOR THE FIRST TIME. Yep, she usually even hangs her undies. She washes everything cold/delicate then hang dry and iron. Everything.

ETA: didn't answer the question! It depends on the items, really. I have a weird decision-making process.
    Last edited by Twoboos; 01-04-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

I just realized I am a crazy old laundry lady! LOL!

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    My MIL is so weird about the dryer. When she was here, she did some laundry. She used the dryer on her fleece pj's and underwear FOR THE FIRST TIME. Yep, she usually even hangs her undies.

She washes everything cold/delicate then hang dry and iron. Everything.
    Ok, that is actually not good. My doctor told me that women should wear cotton underwear, wash it in hot and dry it in the dryer. She says you NEED to get some heat on your panties to really get them clean.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

no...the only thing in the dryer are sheets, towels, socks, undies and dh's tshirts. we hang everything else. it keeps the clothes much nicer. and not nearly so much shrinking. they do shrink more with each dry, although not as much each time as the first couple. (ask me how i know!) and especially the clothes that get passed down from my brothers, which are always dried, are 1 - 2 sizes smaller.

it doesn't take that much time. it is more then just drying, but we have several drying racks in the basement by the washer/dryer and the kids help hang up the clothes or play while i do it.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No, I hang dry most everything. The only items I dry in the dryer are jeans, socks, underwear and pajamas. Everything else I put in the dryer for 5 minutes or less and then hang dry. I just hang everything in the door frames, so there's plenty of room.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Your MIL would have a heart attack if she met me...

I wash everything - with the exception of fancy dresses or vomit soaked sheets - on warm, and I dry pretty much everything except bras and wool sweaters on high. Oh, and I wash towels and sheets and clothes together. Even if some are lights and some are darks. That's right: I mix my lights and darks. FOR SHAME! I can count on one hand the items that have been ruined or worn out before their time. Half my kids' clothes are hand me downs that I then hand down again. They've all survived just fine.

**listens carefully for the sounds of MILs everywhere gasping in disbelief**
    Green Tea, mom to three

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast