Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    I just realized I am a crazy old laundry lady! LOL!

FTR, my MIL is only 60 so I'm not sure this is a generational thing. And guess what? Her daughters (my SIL's) hang their kids clothes to dry too! DH's family feels like a cult sometimes, with MIL as their leader. OK, that is a terrible thing to say . But sometimes I am amazed at how they all do everything EXACTLY the way MIL does.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ha98ed14 View Post
    Ok, that is actually not good. My doctor told me that women should wear cotton underwear, wash it in hot and dry it in the dryer. She says you NEED to get some heat on your panties to really get them clean.
    I know, all I could think was EEEEWWWW!!!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    Your MIL would have a heart attack if she met me...

I wash everything - with the exception of fancy dresses or vomit soaked sheets - on warm, and I dry pretty much everything except bras and wool sweaters on high. Oh, and I wash towels and sheets and clothes together. Even if some are lights and some are darks. That's right: I mix my lights and darks. FOR SHAME! I can count on one hand the items that have been ruined or worn out before their time. Half my kids' clothes are hand me downs that I then hand down again. They've all survived just fine.

**listens carefully for the sounds of MILs everywhere gasping in disbelief**
    I'm not sure MIL would even talk to you...lol.
    Whenever DH does laundry around here (which is just about never), he throws everything in together without thinking twice about it. Apparently that's how he did his laundry when he was single!
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    No, not really. I dry them on low for a few minutes, then pull them out and put them on a drying rack. I invest in good clothes and try to protect my investment (both for prolonged use and resale value). It's really no extra work at all.
    See, I thought about this. This fall, all of DD's clothes were new Hanna and Gymbo. Not a lick of Goodwill in the bunch, which about killed this veteran thrift store shopper! I debated whether or not to dry it, but in the end I decided I couldn't afford to wait for them to dry because DD does not have enough places to hang them while I wait for them to dry before the next load comes out and needs to be hung dry. I've been drying everything on low/delicate, but drying it nonetheless. I will say that her Hanna leggings show a decent amount of wash wear. More than I expected. No stains, just wash wear. The Gymbo stuff has actually stayed looking new for longer. I'm not sure if I will try to resell as "play condition" or just pass it on.

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Pjs, underwear, undershirts, sheets, cloth diapers, towels, jeans, kitchen cloth all go in the dryer. Everything else gets dried for 10 minutes then hung on hangers. I have a heavy duty expandable garment rack in my room where I can hang them up and they dry overnight. I can fit 2 huge front loader loads on there. When hanging I stretch shirts down, smooth hems, collars, etc. By the time they are dry they look pressed and are ready for our closet. Oh and yes clothes last infinitely longer than when we dried all the way in the dryer. Tumbling creates friction that rubs at seams plus I hate pressing and have to hang up the clothes anyway so why not save a step?
    Last edited by m448; 01-04-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Green tea and I are once again twins. I wash everything together. Lights. Darks. Towels. Kids clothes. All together. On a front loader "quick wash" cycle. Clothes are put in dryer on high til they are dry.

Exceptions
    1) DH Stinky workout clothes get washed alone with sports wash otherwise they can stink up other clothes (ask me how I know)
    2) My lululemon work out clothes get air dried as do swim suits

MIL would hate me.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

3 kids x 2 outfits a day + 1 set of pajamas and anything else that's been dirtied ie blankets, sheets, jackets, burp cloths = way too many clothes to hang dry. My kids play hard and play outside alot. I've noticed I am one of those moms who lets their boys get dirty whether it be the sandbox or puddles after a rain. My neighborhood also has a rule against outside clothes lines so I'd be hanging clothes across my family room!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

um, yeah! How else can I dry them ?We don't have enough line to dry them that way, and even if we did it's too humid a lot of the time. I have a drying rack that I use for dipe covers, technical wear, and stuff like tights, fleece jammies, etc. But everything else goes into the dryer. I even wash on warm

But my aunt washes everything in cold, and lines dries it all. All her stuff still looks brand new. So I get it. But she is a widow with no one else to wash for. And she doesn't get dirty and sweaty the way we do lol.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

All the kid's stuff goes in the dryer. I can't imagine having to hang dry all of it. It's not so much the time but the space. We have a very small house and there's just no space to put up drying racks.
    Last edited by ett; 01-04-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

llama8 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I dry all of my kids clothes in the dryer and no shrinkage. i have never heard of not using a dryer.
    DD 11/09
    DD 06/11

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast