Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default New Lego Friends

Have you seen the new Lego Friends collection?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html...ode=3561624011

I believe it is geared for girls. I remember reading an article about them in Bloomberg Business shortly before Christmas. I can not wait for DD to see these!! She will be beyond excited!

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I saw them at Target the other day.

My DD is just now getting into Legos and received the Belville stable for Christmas, which has been played with a lot. I told her about these (I only saw a hair salon, I believe it was) and her response was...way too girlie Mom. So, I will have to look more into it. I'm hoping there are sets available that are not just the stereotypical girl interests. Otherwise, these won't be for us. I'm hopeful, though!

ETA: I browsed through Amazon's selection....the vet set, the invention shop and the treehouse look promising! Wohoo!
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Am I the only one here who finds this trend coming to Legos a wee bit sad? My husband linked this picture on his FB and it makes me wonder. http://m.smh.com.au/opinion/society-...226-1paf1.html

I get gender differences. I don't get needing differently colored versions of the same toys. Also, why not add things like treehouses and pet shops for all kids, rather than targeting them to only girls?
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Also the big forehead, teeny chin, super thin, big eyed mini fig replacements? Why drag barbie into Lego sets?
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    Am I the only one here who finds this trend coming to Legos a wee bit sad? My husband linked this picture on his FB and it makes me wonder. http://m.smh.com.au/opinion/society-...226-1paf1.html

I get gender differences. I don't get needing differently colored versions of the same toys. Also, why not add things like treehouses and pet shops for all kids, rather than targeting them to only girls?
    Maybe as boy moms we just won't get it, but I'm with you. I played with Lego all the time as a kid. I didn't ever want them to be pink and purple with barbie style mini figures. And the other toys...pink phones and blocks and little people airplanes. Do.not.get.it. I was happy with the regular old version.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

My dd3 has a Bellville set that never sees the light of day. The Star Wars, Kingdom, and Sponge Bob sets are played with everyday and are permanently out in the living room. DD is probably not the norm. But she did circle the new Lego sets in the catalogue as a want...
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Glad you said it- as a mum of an 8 year old DD who has been happily playing with lego I find it a really depressing they did that. But then it always made me mad that lego was with the 'boys' toys in stores and websites etc.
    Lucy DD3/03

I love them.

DD1 loves legos. Always has.
    DD2 had little interest. She's done two little sets and that's it. Until she saw these.

I don't think it's wrong to offer options for the "girly girls" out there (whether they are actually girls or not). There are lots and lots of options for the girls who love trucks and spaceships, but really very few for those who naturally want pink and cute animals. They are just as capable as building as everyone else.

I am excited that there is a product that will encourage my child to continue to build.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post

I agree 100%. The buildings and the tree fort are cool, but I am sooo disappointed that Lego felt the need to make a separate line specifically for girls, instead of incorporating some of the same things into an existing line. And don't get me started on the new mini-figures, I hate them! DD has spent hours playing with Legos here, much of the time switching mini-figure heads around and marching them on grand adventures. Now she is being told that they are for boys, and look, here are some PRETTY ones that you can play with. One of the things that I loved about Lego was that it wasn't pink, it wasn't 'pretty', it was relativity gender neutral. And now that is shot to heck, because now by default all the other lines will be 'boy', because there is the pink 'girl' stuff.
    DSS biggest by far
    DD littler
    DS littlest

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm mixed on this. On one hand, if girls like it, then what's the problem? As someone that wanted Legos as a child, I rarely got any. Mainly because they were all 'boy' themed and my parents and grandparents couldn't get past that. I did have a few - the kitchen set, a space one and a fire station, but not nearly what I would have liked. I would say that the sets now are so overly aimed at boys with boy characters (even in the non-licensed sets), that there are few that appeal to a wide range of girls. These may be the 'gateway drug' to get many more girls interested in Legos.

OTOH, I don't like the general 'must pinkify' part - they could have made most of these with regular lego colors, even the lighter shades of what is out, and appealed to all kids, but the pastels are a bit overdone and I know my boys will reject them as 'too girly'.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast