Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default OUCH! How do I un-clog my ear?

OK, this probably should end up in 'Healthy You' but I'm posting it here first because the Lounge has more traffic and I'm cranky. (Not only have I got a stubbornly un-popped ear and sinus congestion/swelled tissue but my heaviest AF day is here. The only positive is I don't have cramps ... sorry for the TMI BBB-Dads. *knock wood*)

We flew home from our annual vacation to AZ on Wednesday. I've been suffering from dust & pollen exposure since we landed (I react BIG time to something out there but I've yet to learn exactly what) and have been taking my generic Zyrtec every night.

I had some runny nose/dry & swollen sinus issues starting on Tuesday but still felt fine. I bought some squeeze-bottle saline that was TSA-friendly (effing liquids & gels in carry on luggage ban prevented me from taking a spray can) as we were not planning to check any bags.

Usually, the saline is enough. It helped for the duration of the flight (stupid dry plane air) but when we started our descent to our "home" airport, my left ear clogged up with painful pressure that wouldn't release no matter what I did - swallowed some water, yawned REALLY wide, etc. - but I managed to "pop" it some when we went down a bit more. I heard a weird sound when it happened, like a balloon having air let out of it, but I have no idea whether it came from my ear (UGH!) or my nose. On the bright side, my ear wasn't bleeding (I was terrified of a ruptured eardrum or something) and I can still hear out of the ear, but everything sounds like I'm underwater.

Yesterday was my regularly scheduled in-office day. I felt fine, but decided not to drive because my ear is such a distraction.

I took some generic Sudafed in the late morning and it did nothing but make me really loopy. Plus, I really shouldn't take it at all, seeing as how DD still nurses a bit (mostly overnight) but I didn't see that on the package until after I'd taken it. (Double UGH!)

I did a neti rinse, saline spray, drank lots of water, lots of tea, a hot shower and DH ran out to buy me Sour Patch Kids last night in the hopes that the sourness would stimulate more swallowing and ear-popping.

No dice.

I am not running a fever and I don't feel like I've got the flu. My nose won't stop running and I ran out of good tissues (Puffs Plus) last night. (TRIPLE UGH!)

The ear feels better but still clogged today and I'm running out of ideas on how to make myself more comfortable.

I have yet to do a neti rinse or take a shower today, but they're still on the schedule.

I don't feel terrible enough to call a doctor plus I haven't seen a GP in years due to not needing to choose one for my insurance - I've had open-access plans for several years now to avoid the hassle of remembering to get a frickin' referral to see my gyno - so I have no idea where I'd go. I'd rather not head to urgent care, as that would still involve driving somewhere and I'm a bit skittish about that due to feeling unbalanced with the still-clogged ear.

What else haven't I tried?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

The sound you heard was your sinuses squeaking, totally benign. I used to get that all the time when I was flying for a living. If your eardrum had ruptured, it would hurt like crazy.

Have you tried the Valsalva maneuver? Go gentle at first.

Also, try a couple of squirts of Afrin, morning and night, for two days. Do not use any longer than 2-3 days or you'll get rebound.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

BTDT with the clogged ear due to allergies. I did go to my dr. who said I couldn't really do much besides wait and take allergy meds/sudafed. However, after several weeks, I was about to go insane and found this method by googling. It worked! I had to do it several times, but it worked.

I did a quick google and I think this is it:http://www.earadicator.com/clogged_ear_cure.shtml I didn't have to pay anything to get the whole thing, and the spray she recommended was called 4 Way.

I should point out my nose was not running. I'm not sure how that changes things...

ETA: just saw they don't even give you full instructions w/out paying. Basically, you put some of the 4 Way into the water in your neti pot. Start the neti pot as usual, but then plug the side of the nose that is lower. Fill your sinuses and then plug the other nostril. Push your tonuge up on the roof of your mouth to keep the solution from draining down your throat. Stand up and raise your head. Slowly rotate your head in all directions. You'll feel the solution going into your ear. The 4 Way will reduce the swelling and you'll be unclogged.

Here you go:http://www.wikihow.com/Unclog-the-In...ustachian-Tube
    Last edited by mytwosons; 01-06-2012 at 11:48 AM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks.

I usually hate medicated nasal spray because no matter how well I angle the stuff, it rolls down the back of my throat and I get a bitter/chemical taste on my soft palate & the back of my tongue for hours afterward ... but it seems that there may not be any other options if the plain Valsalva doesn't work.

Seeing as how I'm out of tissues anyway, I'd guess this warrants a Target run after I clock out.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I hope you have some luck. I'm actually going through the exact same thing right now. I've had 1 ear clogged for 2 weeks. I have no infection. I finally went to the ENT and turns out my middle ear is full of fluid. It's led to a conductive hearing loss. Per my ENT I was on 6 days of prednisone and 3 days of afrin. I also do a nasal wash 2x/day (have been for over a year). I'm waiting until Monday to see if the fluid finally drains (finished the prednisone yesterday). So far the clog is still there and I am having a hard time hearing ppl (esp in settings where there is background noise).
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Try sipping a cup of hot water with 1-2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, honey to taste... a couple times a day. *This apple ACV remedy is making the rounds for sinus congestion and a family friend found relief for clogged ears.

SIL recently had this- her ears felt clogged after flying and she couldn't get one of them to "pop". She was very uncomfortable and even in pain at times. She ended up going to her GP and turned out she had an ear infection! Which she apparently got FROM the flying. I had never even knew that could happen.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I get that a lot. Sudafed helps dry me of congestion up for a few hours. It also makes me a little shaky, so my ear has to really be bugging me to try it. If I have a cold, I always take Sudafed before I fly to get rid of some of the pressure.

kcimato is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I so feel your pain. I had a clogged ear for about six weeks and I was miserable. Not in any pain but just didn't hear well and felt like I was underwater. Then one day it just cleared. I had tried Sudafed etc and nothing worked. Six months later I had to fly and had a cold prior to that. I so didn't want to go and have my ear clog again. I tried something called Earplanes but on decent my ears plugged up and were painful. My sister suggested that I hold my nose and blow and that popped them. When I flew back 5 days later I did not have a problem. However, I just don't want to fly after that experience.

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Slightly unorthodox, I know .. But have you tried chewing gum? It works I promise am not kidding!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast