Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by momm View Post
    Slightly unorthodox, I know .. But have you tried chewing gum? It works I promise am not kidding!
    Yes ma'am!

I've tried gum, cough drops, generic Sudafed (yuck), generic Afrin (ugh), neti pot, yawning, swallowing, Sour Patch Kids, blowing my nose, steam, hot tea, hot showers, etc., and have slight relief, but not total. I've opened my mouth REALLY wide and forced yawns by lifting my soft palate (a useful skill) ... still no dice.

I thought that maybe it could be fluid, so I bought some of that swimmer's aid "Auro-Dri" stuff (which is just alcohol & glycerin) and use that after each shower. Nothing.

I had a friend suggest something from her naturopath, so I think that'll be my next step. As it involves frozen socks, I was super-reluctant to try it (I am chicken about my feet being cold & wet) but I am desperate right now and have to drive to the office tomorrow.

If that doesn't work, I think I'm going to need to see an MD.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 01-09-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Did you try Valsalva, as a PP recommended? My dr recommends doing it 2-3 times, 2-3 times a day. Can take some time for it to work. May not feel like it's doing much at first, but the goal is to strengthen your eustachian tube so that it opens to clear the pressure. I think if you go to a GP, they are going to tell you that you have an ear infection, which is probably not the case, since you don't have pain or fever. IME, this is the generic diagnosis for ear stuff. Sounds like you are doing all the right things, I'd say just give it some more time.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    Did you try Valsalva, as a PP recommended? My dr recommends doing it 2-3 times, 2-3 times a day. Can take some time for it to work. May not feel like it's doing much at first, but the goal is to strengthen your eustachian tube so that it opens to clear the pressure. I think if you go to a GP, they are going to tell you that you have an ear infection, which is probably not the case, since you don't have pain or fever. IME, this is the generic diagnosis for ear stuff. Sounds like you are doing all the right things, I'd say just give it some more time.
    Yes, I've been trying the Valsalva several times per day. I have to remember not to do it too enthusiastically, but I've been doing it with some mild success. The pressure will "pop" and then return within a few minutes.

I am just impatient because I feel out-of-balance and need to drive tomorrow morning. I drove with it on Saturday and didn't like how I felt.

I also think a GP will tell me it's an ear infection, but I'm really experiencing sinus infection symptoms (my sinuses are clogged & I'm blowing out greenish-yellowish mucus) with ear pressure issues on one side. I've had ear infections in the past and not a one of them was accompanied by ear pressure or sinus pressure & gunk.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I also think a GP will tell me it's an ear infection, but I'm really experiencing sinus infection symptoms (my sinuses are clogged & I'm blowing out greenish-yellowish mucus) with ear pressure issues on one side. I've had ear infections in the past and not a one of them was accompanied by ear pressure or sinus pressure & gunk.
    Maybe it's both. (sorry!)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Maybe it's both. (sorry!)
    I really hope not; I'd rather not have to head out to the doctor. I've got no idea what the coinsurance will be on a sick visit for an adult!

The clogged ear is air pressure that didn't equalize during the flight's descent because I was congested while flying.

The sinus gunk is sinus gunk, and, hopefully, has almost run its course.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The ear is likely taking longer to clear up because of the sinus gunk. The eustachian tube runs through your nasal passage, and any congestion or inflamation can cause it to clog, meaning your ear cannot release pressure.

Hope it all clears up soon. Such an annoying thing to deal with.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    The ear is likely taking longer to clear up because of the sinus gunk. The eustachian tube runs through your nasal passage, and any congestion or inflamation can cause it to clog, meaning your ear cannot release pressure.

Hope it all clears up soon. Such an annoying thing to deal with.
    Makes sense to me.

So, I'm treating the sinus gunk (hydration, neti rinse, steam, etc.) and trying to be patient about the pressure.

I am not a patient person, so this is very hard.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Makes sense to me.

So, I'm treating the sinus gunk (hydration, neti rinse, steam, etc.) and trying to be patient about the pressure.

I am not a patient person, so this is very hard.

i hope you can try the apple cider vinegar... the greatest success i've heard (personally) about it was for a unrelenting sinus infection. i've been using it for about two weeks now and it's really helping my *always* congested sinuses.

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post
    i hope you can try the apple cider vinegar... the greatest success i've heard (personally) about it was for a unrelenting sinus infection. i've been using it for about two weeks now and it's really helping my *always* congested sinuses.
    I have a big jug of AC vinegar in the house - I use it as a clarifying treatment for my hair once a month or so - so I can try it, but I'm already drinking a ton of tea with honey, so I'm not sure what's so incredibly different. The pH of tea is a smidge on the acidic side (AC vinegar is fairly low acid) and so is honey, so I'd expect the results to be similar, no?

At this point, I've tried Valsalva (which brings some relief), cough drops, tea, sleep and frozen socks (but I don't think I froze them enough) ... and I'm still congested.

I'll need to do another neti rinse when I get home tonight.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have a big jug of AC vinegar in the house - I use it as a clarifying treatment for my hair once a month or so - so I can try it, but I'm already drinking a ton of tea with honey, so I'm not sure what's so incredibly different. The pH of tea is a smidge on the acidic side (AC vinegar is fairly low acid) and so is honey, so I'd expect the results to be similar, no?
    Not the same thing. The ACV is what you want to use, the hot water and honey is to make it easier to consume, more palatable. I type this as I breathe through not one, but two nostrils, at the same time... something that has happened a very few to times in the last 35 years.

Consider trying it for a 3 days, 3-4 times a day... you've got nothing to lose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast