Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Musical instrument for a 2 yo? Warning: musically illiterate parents!

We are blessed with a kid who is passionate about music and dance but neither DH nor I play any musical instruments or know much about music. It's embarrassing, really. In an effort to keep this passion alive in DD, we thought about getting her a musical instrument toy of some sort for her 2nd birthday. My worry is that toy musical instruments are meant to be used by kids who are constantly supervised and encouraged by their musically talented parents. Don't I need at least some skills to help my daughter play with a toy piano or a toy guitar?

And when I refer to musical instruments, I don't mean those that just play tunes when you push a button. We have a few of those and I think she’s outgrowing them.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Many thanks!
    DD February 2010
    DS January 2012

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Your post made me giggle. Well, I'm a musician and dh is a drummer (I guess that's a musician, too) and Sprog is music-crazy. We have a full sized drumset in the family room (DON'T GET THAT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!) and also a piano, but she only gets to play those with supervision.

What about some cool kids' percussion instruments to play along with her favorite CDs? We have a Melissa & Doug wood set, garage sale find, that has a nice variety of shakers, a tambourine, wood blocks for banging... I've seen similar sets made of plastic, too. There are the classic colorful xylephones - those are fun.

Sprog's current favorites are a couple recorders and a harmonica but she got the idea of how to play them because I demonstrated. It still took her forever to figure out the difference between sucking and blowing on them, so hours of annoyance for her. She had a breakthrough two weeks ago-finally!

Try them out before buying. You might not play instruments yourselves but you can tell if something has a pleasant tone vs sounding like cheap junk.

You didn't ask but we're totally addicted to the book Zin Zin the Violin right now. It's a great read-aloud poetical book about different instruments. Great artwork. Your daughter might also like that a lot.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dds first musical toys were rattles and drums. We got a little keyboard, too. Think rhythm at this age. Lakeshore learning has some good resources of you want to get a few things but an upsidedown tupperware or pan and a wooden spoon are just as good as a store bought drum IMO. Get some music to listen to as well!!
    If you see something you like (like a rainstick) look into making it. Rainsticks are so simple and cheap to make with a paper towel roll...for goodness sake don't spend $8+ on a plastic one.

ETA--don't forget about your voice!!
    Last edited by infomama; 01-08-2012 at 02:05 AM.

My DD is also very musical, although my DH is as well. I am completely not!! She sometimes bangs away at our piano with DH, and we had assumed she would get piano lessons eventually. Then DD happened to see a video clip of someone playing the saxaphone and she was mesmerized. She asked my DH what the instrument is called and then declared that she wants to play one. She hasn't stopped talking about the saxaphone since then! For Chanuka, my SIL bought DD this adorable bathtime trumpet and DD thinks its a saxaphone:
    http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Toys-4025.../dp/B000HZI2NK

Its actually really fun! You fill the different vials with water to different levels to make each button have a different sound...its fun and easy!
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

"Someday, I am going to go to bed without toys on the floor and sippys in my sink. Things will stay where I put them and I can have nice, fragile items on display. But when I do, I will look around with a wistfullness in my heart and miss the days where vibrant imaginations ran wild and there was evidence of life happening around me all the time!"

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have a Remo drum and those meini plastic eggs which my 3 and 18 month old both love. (They used them first in their Music Together class and then got some for home). My three year old also got a set of instruments for her first birthday that they both like a lot - it was the Parents brand when she got it, but it is the B brand I think now (you can find it at Target.) It came packed inside a drum and has a bunch of different instruments, which is nice for them when they play music together. I have given it for a gift too and it has always been a hit!

Jai is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We buy from the Hohner Kids line. I like that they also make instruments for adults and that there glockenspiel/xylophone is in tune--most of the ones produced by toy companies are not.

http://www.amazon.com/Hohner-Toddler...6062332&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Hohner-Kids-Mi...6062332&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/Hohner-Kids-Ma...6062332&sr=8-4

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS is 3 and also really into music. We've had a drum set for a while and he plays it all the time. We also have a piano that he's allowed on, since he's never been one to bang on the keys. Both kids have ukeleles, but they're not left out. We have something called a music maker, sort of like a mini harp, with music sheets you slide behind the strings that show you which strings to play. He can play that with supervision. Also have a set of bells, which he's too young to really make music with but my 8yo loves them. Then all the percussion instruments which are made for kids, but he never really liked those. Oh, a favorite from an early age was a harmonica! That's pretty indestructible, and he was actually able to make nice sounding music on it starting at around 2.

Thank you very much for all the great suggestions ladies! I'll let you know what we end up with and whether she likes it. Sadly, amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada so our options may be limited by what's available in Canada).

Thanks again!
    DD February 2010
    DS January 2012

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If she's past the choking hazard stage you might also try making a few of your own instruments like the rainstick mentioned above.

You can make your own egg shakers by filling old easter eggs with dry rice or beans and taping or gluing the egg parts together.

You can make your own tamborines by filling a sturdy paper plate with dry rice or beans and stapling another paper plate to the top.

This page has a cool guiro tutorial:
    http://www.minieco.co.uk/balloon-bon...-shaker-guiro/

For storebought instruments you've gotten some great suggestions. The lollipop drum is also a favorite at our house.
    http://www.amazon.com/Remo-Kids-Loll.../dp/B0002F7KTW

You might give her a few scarves to dance with.

Pandora has some great kid music channels so that's an easy way to explore a few different kid music artists and see what you both like. You can also go a long way by just exposing her to regular adult music.

You might also look for kid music classes through your city or private groups. We've had a lot of fun with basic parent-kid classes where we all sing songs together and dance. They usually bring out different instruments so the kids can explore rhythm and sounds. It's fun to watch how the adults all loosen up when surrounded by so much kid enthusiasm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast