Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default #%#@$% 1st Grade Math homework... does this make sense to everyone?

Or am I dense?

The answers to #1 were traced, so they are correct. Questions 2 and 3 were done in the classroom today together so they are supposedly correct as well.

My son has to do the next page (I didn't take a pic) but it is the same as this "Guided Practice".

To me, this is really unclear. For #1, to go from the purple sphere to the pink rectangle, you are to go one space right and two down.

I get moving one space right. But then you go two down? How do you come to that conclusion when the pink rectangle is not in any one square? It is in the center of four squares.

And, questions #2, and #3 are just as crazy.

Maybe this belongs in bp... I dunno.

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It makes sense to me since I see each corner (and not the physical square) as a space. So, to me, you do need to move 2 spaces down to get to the corner that is 2 corners further.
    Hope this helps or that someone agrees with me!
    Daniella
    Mom to 3 DDs (02, 04, 09)

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The shapes are on the points (intersections), not in the squares. That's how I saw it. But question 2 is wrong. It's 3 spaces right and 1 space up.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It does make sense if you stay on the lines of the grid rather than in the empty spaces. Except that #2 is backwards: It should be go 3 spaces right and 1 space up.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think they are meaning that if you go from one point/intersection to the next, that is moving one space. So, #1, you are starting at the intersection of the first horizontal and vertical lines. You move one whole space right, that puts you at the intersection of the first horizontal line and second vertical line. If you then move down two spaces, you will be at the intersection of the the third horizontal line and the second vertical line. That is where the pink rectangle is.

I agree it's not intuitive, especially for first graders, but it's not way out there.

#2 is answered wrong, though... should be 3 right and 1 up.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sorry, but yes it does make sense to me. #2 is wrong though, the numbers have to be swapped.

As for the pink rectangle (and all the shapes for that matter), they aren't in squares, they are at the intersection of the squares. Does that help make it clearer?

Math, I get. Social studies and history? We are going to be in big trouble here

ETA: guess I was too slow to type on my iPad since several answered at the same time! At least we all seem to agree!
    Last edited by 3isEnough; 01-09-2012 at 08:33 PM.

OK, but then what about #2? That really doesn't make sense.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I agree. It's a grid and all the objects are at intersections. Follow the intersections. #2 is wrong.
    Kris

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The answer to #2 seems wrong to me. The others I get, and are the ways I would have answered. Each corner of a square is a unit...like you'd do on a regular graph. Why oh why do they try and make things so complicated
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cdlamis View Post
    It makes sense to me since I see each corner (and not the physical square) as a space. So, to me, you do need to move 2 spaces down to get to the corner that is 2 corners further.
    Hope this helps or that someone agrees with me!

you go across one full space to the corner.
    DD
    DS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast