ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Keurig owners, help! Brewing weak coffee

I've had my Keurig (I think its the B40) for 1.5 yrs. I normally use it 1-2 times per day for myself, more if company comes over. In the past week or so, I've noticed that the coffee is tasting weaker and it seems to be making more noise both before and after it brews. I descaled it with vinegar last week (even though the descale light wasn't on), and also took apart the part with the needle and cleaned that, as well a sticking a tooth pick through the part where the needle is (and found no clogs). Still having lots of noise and weak coffee I googled solutions but didn't come up with much. One site said to check the water temperature, so I stuck a meat thermometer in my filled mug right after it brewed and it was 160 degrees, is that what it should be or should it be hotter?

Oh, I've tried several different kinds of coffee, from several different boxes, and have used the smaller setting as well as the larger setting (I use the Extra Bold K-cups on the larger setting). Still getting weak coffee. I also have a SoloFill cup which I was using pretty regularly, and now the coffee is really weak when I try to use that (despite trying different amounts and using the same coffee I've been using for awhile).

Any suggestions? Or is my machine slowly dying? I think it was purchased directly from Keurig (was a birthday gift), and I have it registered there, but I think they only give a 1 yr. limited warranty

dec756 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

man. i <3 my keurig and would be heartbroken without it. i would try to contact the company to see if they have any suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by dec756 View Post
    man. i <3 my keurig and would be heartbroken without it. i would try to contact the company to see if they have any suggestions!
    I know, it is very upsetting! I plan on calling Keurig tomorrow to see if they have anything else I can try to fix it. I miss my good coffee!

mypa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Call Keurig

I am on my 3 or 4th keurig. These machines have a very short lifespan (I have really hard water). I only buy from a place that has a generous return policy (Costco, BBB, Kohls). The last one I bought at Kohls and it died before a year and I contacted Keurig directly and after they had me do some things to it over the phone they declared it dead and shipped out a new one right away. All I had to do was mail them back 1 little part.

Since yours is older than 1 year I'm not sure if they will honor the warranty. However, from my experience with them they seem to really want to help out and especially since you bought directly from them they will probably do what they can to keep you as a customer.

I also accidently broke the lid of one their cup (that I got for free during a Kohl's k-cup promotion) and called to ask about a replacement lid (that I was fully expecting to pay myself). Well, they shipped out a whole new one to me, no questions asked.

So far their CS is excellent.
    Mary

DS Summer '05
    DD Fall '08

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Keurig sent me a new coffee maker for free when mine died out of warranty...hopefully you will be just as lucky.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Good to know that Keurig CS is so nice, I'll give them a call tomorrow, fingers crossed for good news! Just heard back from MIL who gave it to me and she thinks they got it at JC Penny's, anyone have any experience w/ their CS on things like this?

Just curious, are the signs mine is making (weak brew, growling noises before and after brewing) signs of a slow and painful death?

Mine just stopped brewing...no water would come out after I pushed the brew button. Not sure about your symptoms!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Quote Originally Posted by Beth24 View Post
    Mine just stopped brewing...no water would come out after I pushed the brew button. Not sure about your symptoms!
    I actually had this problem a few months ago! I called Keurig CS, sure that my machine was dead, and he said to take out the k-cup holder, take it apart and wash it, then stick the end of a paperclip through the little hole where the needle is. Sure enough I pushed out coffee grinds that had plugged it up. Then he had me run a few cycles of water through the machine because something about the clog programmed it to run only about 1/2 a cup rather than a full amount. Everything was fine in the end, but I tried the paperclip trick this time and no luck. Hopefully yours is an easy fix!

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    I actually had this problem a few months ago! I called Keurig CS, sure that my machine was dead, and he said to take out the k-cup holder, take it apart and wash it, then stick the end of a paperclip through the little hole where the needle is. Sure enough I pushed out coffee grinds that had plugged it up. Then he had me run a few cycles of water through the machine because something about the clog programmed it to run only about 1/2 a cup rather than a full amount. Everything was fine in the end, but I tried the paperclip trick this time and no luck. Hopefully yours is an easy fix!
    We tried this as well...it was after the CS rep walked me through all those steps and the water still wouldn't flow that he offered to send me a new one. But thanks for the advice, I will remember it if my new one gets stuck too! Good luck with CS tomorrow!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3