Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pac NW travel ideas?

I am looking for suggestions for travel destinations in the Pacific Northwest... someplace that would be good for families with very young children (e.g. something for them to do, a pool perhaps?) but ideally also good outdoor recreational opportunities for the adults close by. Planning a road trip and need help! The coast seems like the obvious choice but we were looking for something a little different. Thanks!

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Portland has a lot to do. There is a zoo, children's museum and science museum. There is hiking local (lots of waterfalls) and Mt Hood and Mt. St. Helen are just a couple of hours away. The coast (Cannon Beach is great for little kids with Seaside being "cooler" for older ones) is just an hour or two away also so no reason that you couldn't hit the coast and a destination. Seattle is three hours away with British Columbia being about 3 hours north of that (Victoria and Vancouver BC are both a lot of fun).

Depending on where you are driving from there could be a lot of fun things to do on the way. My parents will occasionally drive up the coast on their way to visit and take a few days to enjoy themselves.

ETA- Did I mention that no one does family friendly brew pubs like we do? Some even have lodging.
    Last edited by ellies mom; 01-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

I agree - Portland is clean and walkable and friendly.

If you do the coast, I would aim for the Ocean Shores area as it has more for young families to do beyond the beach.

I also think Victoria, BC is a lovely destination, very clean, walkable, friendly, easy. They have an AMAZING butterfly garden - most impressive I have ever seen.

I would recommend the San Juan Islands, but I don't know how family friendly that is with little ones. I just want to recommend it because I am homesick!!!!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Portland is awesome..... but I'm biased since I'm a native

Newport, Oregon, might be another fun kid location:

Oregon Coast Aquarium, Hatfield Marine Center and Yaquina Head Lighthouses/Tidepools are great kid friendly things.... plus you could also drive up to Lincoln City and check out stuff there too (They have a big swim center there, if you are staying at a hotel without a pool, etc)

Fun things with kids in Portland:
    Oregon Zoo
    Children's Museum
    OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry)- great little kids section!!
    Movie Theaters that serve adult beverages (Kennedy School, Academy Pub) and kiddie movies occasionally!
    Swimming pools/aquatic parks around town
    Japanese Gardens/Washington Park
    Hiking trails in Forest Park, Tryon Creek and near Multnomah Falls (Gorge)
    Going to Powells bookstore/esp kids section and then grabbing a gelato after......

Let me know if you need more tips! Ages of kiddos and time of year you are thinking to visit, would be helpful!!

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did a Portland vacay this past summer and loved it! All the places everyone mentioned - -our favorites were OMSI and the rose garden/train/to zoo complex. Great food. We also drove up the coast for two days and spent a day and night at mt hood and also saw that giant waterfall (blanking on name).
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    We did a Portland vacay this past summer and loved it! All the places everyone mentioned - -our favorites were OMSI and the rose garden/train/to zoo complex. Great food. We also drove up the coast for two days and spent a day and night at mt hood and also saw that giant waterfall (blanking on name).
    Giant waterfall is Multnomah Falls (in the Gorge, right?)

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yup that was it! We were able to hike in with the baby in pack and our son could walk. It was a shortish hike but very remote once you got there. I def. rec doing that over standing with the crowds at the front falls area.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Portland is great with kids and we also go to the Oregon coast 1-2 times a year.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Thanks for the helpful thoughts. We'll be venturing out from Portland and the kids range in age from infant to six. We were wondering about Bend perhaps? Any great places to stay down there?

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Check the fodors forums (go to us forum and then Oregon) . There is a long one titled 9 days in oregonwith young kids that looks helpful. (Sorry I can't cut and paste on this kindle) .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast