Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Remind me how to dress kids in 60 degree weather

Going to LA next week for a short cruise to catalina island and the northern tip of mexico. coming from new york I've forgotten what its like to dress kids for this weather. short sleeves and jeans with an optional light jacket?
    or is it warm enough for shorts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

Kaylee31 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would definitely go with jeans & short sleeves, with a light jacket or fleece on hand. 60 degrees would feel tropical right now to me, but still not quite warm enough for shorts IMO.
    DS - 07/09 - Mr. Tempermental
    DD - 02/12 - Dollface
    New arrival expected 06/14

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee31 View Post
    I would definitely go with jeans & short sleeves, with a light jacket or fleece on hand. 60 degrees would feel tropical right now to me, but still not quite warm enough for shorts IMO.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

We are in the bay area where the avg is often right around 60. I would do a ls tee and a jacket. Honestly I am usually wearing a cotton sweater and a jacket, but maybe I have thinner blood

mypa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Layers

Well, considering we had 60degree weather, followed by 80's then now down to 70's I'd come prepared in layers. Winter here has cool air but hot sun. So, if it is overcast you will feel chilly. But if the sun is out you can get sweaty. The recommendations for long pants/short sleeve/light jacket sounds good. Definitely not shorts. Going on the boat to Catalina it will be windy so you want to be fully covered.

BTW, we consider 60 to be freezing cold winter weather here so I will probably be in a sweater or fleece. However, my kids are always hot as they run around a lot so they are usually fine in just a long sleeve top and pants, but if they were sitting still and it was windy they'd definitely need a jacket.

This is a great time to come, it will probably feel like fall or spring to you.
    Mary

DS Summer '05
    DD Fall '08

Catalina might be overcast and will probably be closer in temp to coastal OC -- 70s this week, 60s next week. Also, it gets to the high 40s at night, so bring something for (relatively) chilly evenings. And as mypa said, it will be windy, especially on the boat over to Catalina, so a jacket is a must.

It is supposed to rain at the end of next week, so depending on when you go, you might have some sprinkles. (Although it's not much of a storm, just enough to keep you out of flip flops for a day or 2).

Have fun
    E, Mama to "BabyDoll" 4/2011

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm in Los Angeles and if it's 60 degrees I dress DS1 in an undershirt (tank), long sleeved shirt, pants, and a hoodie sweater! 60 to me is cold, LOL! When it's 70 I'll get rid of the tank and do a short sleeved shirt under the hoodie. The shorts don't come out till it's 74 or higher! I'd think Catalina would be overcast and breezy so I'd definately do long sleeves and pants and bring a sweater/light jacket.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mypa View Post
    Well, considering we had 60degree weather, followed by 80's then now down to 70's I'd come prepared in layers. Winter here has cool air but hot sun. So, if it is overcast you will feel chilly. But if the sun is out you can get sweaty. The recommendations for long pants/short sleeve/light jacket sounds good. Definitely not shorts. Going on the boat to Catalina it will be windy so you want to be fully covered.

BTW, we consider 60 to be freezing cold winter weather here so I will probably be in a sweater or fleece. However, my kids are always hot as they run around a lot so they are usually fine in just a long sleeve top and pants, but if they were sitting still and it was windy they'd definitely need a jacket.

This is a great time to come, it will probably feel like fall or spring to you.

And even when it's warm during the day, it really cools off at night. (The whole cool air, hot sun thing, although I had never heard it said that way- totally true though!)
    Near the ocean is going to be much cooler too. I would probably be bringing our lands end squalls for the boat! But you guys would probably be fine in fleece jackets and pants. And then it should get a bit warmer as you get down into Mexico. Enjoy your trip!
    DD
    DS

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks everybody. I will bring a mix of short and long sleeve tees and sweatshirts along with jeans/long pants. I'll throw in a pair of shorts or two, just in case.

I'm a bit sad that we won't be able to enjoy the pool on the ship. Oh, well. DS1 isn't really keen on swimming anyway.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

Hi nechums - reading through earlier threads on vinyl playset recommendations... specifically one mentioning your set from Lancaster. I was unable to reply to that thread due to its age - so I was hoping you would reply to this thread! Would you mind telling me from whom you purchased your playset? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast