Default Kendell Crib or Renew Baby Crib?

I'm getting frustrated picking out a crib and was hoping to get some opinions. I really like Pottery Barn's Kendell crib, but found that JCPenny has the exact same style, called "Baby Crib, Renew Coffee Finish". The PB crib converts only to a toddler bed (and of course is twice the price) and the JCP crib doesn't convert at all. Meanwhile, my sister of two told me I need to get a convertible crib. This is my first and I'm planning to have more, so I just assumed a traditional crib used multiple time would be fine.
    So, convertible or traditional? And, would you pay the extra for the crib that at least converts to a toddler bed?

Thanks for the advice!

This is just my opinion, so others may have different views, but I prefer to use a traditional crib (and spend less) for multiple babes, and then spend the money on toddler/ childs beds later on. They will use that longer than the crib (which is generally only ~2 years), and the decor/furniture you choose for the toddler/childs bedroom can be more unified to the rest of your home (as opposed to spending all your money on a nursery scheme that may be less unified since it is 'babyish').

Just my 2-cents

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't looked at either of these cribs but in general would lean towards the lower priced one assuming the build quality is sturdy. Some infants develop woodchuck tendencies while teething and it's not fun to discover bite marks all over your expensive crib. You can buy rail covers but some children pick creative places to test out their new teeth.

If you're petite or have shoulder/back trouble you may also want to look at the overall height of the rails from the floor. Crib heights vary pretty greatly and some of the traditional cribs we looked at had higher sides than the convertible models.

I agree with PP that you'll have a better idea of what size and style of bed and dresser you want long term after the crib stage. One of my friends bought a gorgeous convertible crib but her son is now obsessed with a car themed toddler bed.

I appreciate the opinions. And I really liked the woodchuck comment. You never really know what will happen!

I still am pulling towards the traditional crib. (Just still not sure if it's worth being able to pull one side off for a year of toddlerhood.) I just don't see my little boy in one of those full size converted beds...they're more for Grandma.