Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Currently I have
    4 sweater boxes
    1 deep sweater box (for heavy wooden blocks)
    12 mesh bins.

I couldn't find the multipurpose bins when I was at the Container Store. I will be going back soon and will look for them again. I plan on putting construction paper, workbooks, coloring books,etc in them.

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    Currently I have
    4 sweater boxes
    1 deep sweater box (for heavy wooden blocks)
    12 mesh bins.
    For the mesh bins, do you use the 16" size? Are they pretty sturdy to hold toys, like when you pull them out of the unit do they hold their shape etc, or do you use them just for light stuff? Thanks!
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have the Target ITSO bins and the LEKMAN boxes from IKEA. I had the BRANAS baskets and they broke. I was not impressed.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kristac View Post
    Talk to me about the multipurpose bins for toys- what exactly do you use them for? I can't picture anything but art supplies, coloring books, etc.....
    Someone else said they couldn't find them. I found them once on the left side of the store on an endcap (during the sale) and the other time in the back right, near CD storage.

Currently, we have them labeled like this:
    small - "lost parts" (things that go to toys out of rotation) - in the mudroom expedit, each DC has a mittens/hat/sunglasses/scarf bin next to their shoes (looooove this!)
    medium- imaginext vehicles, little people, wooden trains
    large - musical instruments, imaginext parts, little people vehicles, train track

oh, and adult stuff in them:
    medium- christmas cards I've yet to send out (!), my craft
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 01-18-2012 at 10:31 AM.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Minnifer View Post
    For the mesh bins, do you use the 16" size? Are they pretty sturdy to hold toys, like when you pull them out of the unit do they hold their shape etc, or do you use them just for light stuff? Thanks!
    That's the problem with the mesh bins. I got one to try (from target) and it's ok for something like stuffed animals. However, heavier stuff, esp on the higher shelves, forget it. The box gets all warped when you try to move it and since there is no lip on the edge, it is difficult to take it down w/o practically dropping it, since the other hand opening is on the other side of the shelf (ie: one handle on the outside of the shelf, one on the inside when you push it in). We like the 27 inch sterilite containers with the two locks for the lid. We don't use the lid, except when we are storing (rotate) containers in the basement, since my kids are abusive to the lids (like to stand and jump on them). However, they fit perfect, AND my kids can see what is in them. You can't see through the mesh ones, so unless you get rainbow colors and your kids can remember which color are for what toys or some other system, then you find yourself having to peek into each bin each time to see which one it is.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    That's the problem with the mesh bins. I got one to try (from target) and it's ok for something like stuffed animals. However, heavier stuff, esp on the higher shelves, forget it. The box gets all warped when you try to move it and since there is no lip on the edge, it is difficult to take it down w/o practically dropping it, since the other hand opening is on the other side of the shelf (ie: one handle on the outside of the shelf, one on the inside when you push it in). We like the 27 inch sterilite containers with the two locks for the lid.
    Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Wait, sorry to be dense, 27 inch, isn't that too big for the cubbies on Expedit? Maybe you mean quart, or something else - do you have a link? Thanks!

I'm *finally* getting an Expedit this weekend - hoping it will change my life

OP, I love the idea of this thread so it's all (mostly) referenced in one place!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No, the medium 13" tall ones fit perfectly in the cubbies. They hold up pretty well. They are flexible though. It just depends on what you want to store in them. I got the sweater boxes for heavier items like blocks.

The blue one on the left with the dolls is the 13" one. There is a Bitty Twin, 5 Littly Mommy-type dolls, a Stella doll, a Disney Princess baby doll, a Woody doll, a Jessie Doll and several bottles, bibs, clothes in that 1 bin. The pink one on the right is the large one and I use it to hold the bigger stuffed animals.
    WP_001289.jpg

Here is the mesh bin out of the cubby - it stands up well enough on it's own.
    WP_001291.jpg

But you can easily bend it if you pull on it. It pops back into shape when you let go. I find them sturdy enough for most of our stuff.
    WP_001292.jpg

I keep the mesh bins on the bottom row (I have a 5x5) and everything on the bottom row is for my 2 year old. The next row up I have 2 mesh bins (one on each end), 1 deep sweater box in the middle for the wooden blocks, and 2 sweater boxes (1 per cubby with no lid) - one holds puzzles/puzzle pieces, one holds magnatiles. This row my 2 year old can also reach. The next shelf up I have 3 mesh bins (these are for my almost 6 year old - littlest pet shop, zoobles, etc) and 2 sweater boxes (1 per cubby with no lid) that hold bristle blocks and duplos. Further up I keep more books, work books, toys that don't get played with or are out of rotation, etc. These are rows I can only reach.

I like the mesh bins. You can see through them to see what's in them so my kids actually get them out to play with whatever's in them. I had them before i got my expedit, so I am really happy they work in the cubbies. If I didn't already have 12 bins, I might have gotten more sweater boxes instead, as I really like those as well.
    Last edited by lhafer; 01-18-2012 at 11:13 AM.

PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Wait, sorry to be dense, 27 inch, isn't that too big for the cubbies on Expedit? Maybe you mean quart, or something else - do you have a link? Thanks!

I'm *finally* getting an Expedit this weekend - hoping it will change my life

OP, I love the idea of this thread so it's all (mostly) referenced in one place!
    I have tried to figure out a way to upload a picture, and I can't....

Hellokitty was talking about a 27 qt Sterilite container. She sent me a pic and can't figure out how to share it w/you all. Sorry. Maybe she can upload again.
    -------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
    I have tried to figure out a way to upload a picture, and I can't....

Hellokitty was talking about a 27 qt Sterilite container. She sent me a pic and can't figure out how to share it w/you all. Sorry. Maybe she can upload again.
    Thanks - guessing these or these?

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=252&section=1

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...ndingMethod=rr

Sounds like you can use the Sterilite ones in lieu of the Container Store deep sweater box: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...uctId=10003228 although it looks like the CS ones are a bit bigger so more efficient use of space (more expensive though too, I assume, but haven't compared closely yet).
    Last edited by Minnifer; 01-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.

PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks - guessing these or these?

Sounds like you can use the Sterilite ones in lieu of the Container Store deep sweater box: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...uctId=10003228 although it looks like the CS ones are a bit bigger so more efficient use of space (more expensive though too, I assume, but haven't compared closely yet).
    Yes, those are it.

I just bought them yesterday at Wal - they were $6.50. At CS, the deep sweater are $10, so that is a $3.50 savings per cubby! pretty huge, esp if you need a lot of lg boxes, which I'm pretty sure I will. I think by saving on these, I might be able to splurge and still get the small sweater boxes ( 2 per cubby) -- b/c those truly are a great fit and less waste of space. These are $6 each.

FWIW - from hellokitty's pic, the 27 qt did not look like A huge WASTE of space, when in the cubby... you could probably fit 2 thin, hard back books on one side.

It all depends on your budget, and how you want the things to look.

For me, a little savings and not a perfect fit is ok!
    -------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast