Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default 2012 items for 2012?

Anyone interested in selling/donating or discarding 2012 items in 2012? I saw people talking about it on DiaperSwappers. I am kind of thinking counting would be annoying, but then I thought maybe it would be motivating to keep a tally and ALSO to help me think twice before bringing MORE items into our chaos. Anyone else in?

I didn't start counting at the beginning of the year, but this week we have done: Two garbage bags of random linens & textiles, 5 or so frames, about a dozen books. Bedroom set: bed, nightstand, mirror, dresser. Two boxes of chopsticks, two toys, 3 binders. 111 books, 13 melamine plates, 1 towel, 2 corningware dishes, 1 candle, 1 frame, 1 glass jar, 1 box of bobbins, 2 tupperware containers, 1 strange metal bar no idea what it was from, 12 days of christmas glasses (shed a tear with these, but one broke so good bye), 1 storage box, 2 skirts, 1 nightgown, 5 skeins of yarn, 2 wooden art boxes
    = 201 items so far

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

They used to do this on GCM. I'm in!! I have a bag of stuff in the garage - will be back later to post a number.

Oh my gosh, I have opened the biggest can of worms. The house is an utter wreck. It's like I'm trying to nest in every room of our home and simultaneously organize, donate and clean EVERYTHING in a completely random and haphazard fashion. DH is going to have a cow when he gets home and I won't blame him. I'm so exhausted that I am not sure what I should be doing right at this second, although I doubt sitting her writing this post is where I should be.

3 teddy bears
    2 dish towels
    2 vhs movies
    2 neck pillows
    1 photo display
    1 vase
    1 game
    1 bunch of artificial flowers
    1 funnel
    1 hoodie
    1 mini tea set
    2 tees
    1 craft set
    1 stack of Christmas cards
    1 napkin holder (21)
    New total: 222

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I need to get started on my yearly purge and I like the idea of keeping a running tally. I straightened up DD room this after noon and tossed 3 or 4 items. So there is a start!
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

15 beanie babies, 2 groceries bags full of rejected sewing supplies. I'm going to count this as 10 items but it had way more, 1 pink tote bag, vase, dessert stand, peter rabbit dishes (5) total 33

total: 255

DH has just dropped off all this stuff at goodwill. Things are still disastrous looking but at least some of it is GONE.

3 magazines
    1 quilt, 1 towel, 1 washcloth

New Total: 231

OH Totally forgot got rid of huge diaper box full of yarn. I'm counting it as 20, although it was way more than that.

New Total: 251

It's not too late to join me!!!
    Last edited by Melaine; 01-19-2012 at 09:01 AM.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I might join. I am wondering if counting would make mess less likely to purge. i can see myself emptying a bag because I forgot to count .

What would also be interesting is 2012 fewer items in the house, so count what goes against what comes in .

We had our carpets cleaned this week. The playroom and family room were in good shape to start, but my bedroom was full of the stuff I mean to go through. I tucked it all into DS2's and the bathroom. I pulled out a couple bins to go through today, and I'll try to count as I do it. I was so impressed with how good my bedroom looked without any clutter!
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I might join. I am wondering if counting would make mess less likely to purge. i can see myself emptying a bag because I forgot to count .

What would also be interesting is 2012 fewer items in the house, so count what goes against what comes in .

We had our carpets cleaned this week. The playroom and family room were in good shape to start, but my bedroom was full of the stuff I mean to go through. I tucked it all into DS2's and the bathroom. I pulled out a couple bins to go through today, and I'll try to count as I do it. I was so impressed with how good my bedroom looked without any clutter!
    Yes....I think it is perfectly FINE to guesstimate what is in a bag, etc. The point is not total accuracy, but progress! But I am guessing a bit on the low side because I want to be sure I actually reach the goal and can brag accordingly. I have been counting the other items though and I have found it's helped me to get rid of more because I realize I have to make the "hard choices" to reach the goal: which is a simpler existence. I'm also reading a lot on the minimalism board at DS and reading some books about minimalism, organization and simplification.

Basically, we have NO room right now. I am forcing myself to make drastic changes before this baby comes. I decided that I'm going to embrace the fact that we have no space and use it to my advantage. Hopefully: less mess, less work eventually. I have a long way to go. But I am excited about the changes it will make (I hope).

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast