Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Yes....I think it is perfectly FINE to guesstimate what is in a bag, etc. The point is not total accuracy, but progress! But I am guessing a bit on the low side because I want to be sure I actually reach the goal and can brag accordingly. I have been counting the other items though and I have found it's helped me to get rid of more because I realize I have to make the "hard choices" to reach the goal: which is a simpler existence. I'm also reading a lot on the minimalism board at DS and reading some books about minimalism, organization and simplification.

Basically, we have NO room right now. I am forcing myself to make drastic changes before this baby comes. I decided that I'm going to embrace the fact that we have no space and use it to my advantage. Hopefully: less mess, less work eventually. I have a long way to go. But I am excited about the changes it will make (I hope).
    My whole decluttering journey started 3 years ago when I realized we would soon have to move DS2 from our room to his own room (he was 8 months old) and that DD wanted to move to her own room and not share with DS1 any more. I had 4 bedrooms and 2 were full of clutter. FULL! I had 5 years of boy stuff and 3 years of girl stuff. I started by doing 10 minutes a day guaranteed. I was amazed at how much I got done in 10 minutes. So, I know how it goes when you need that space!

I've sorted through some things today. Nothing is gone, except trash. But, I have a bin going of things to donate and will do that tomorrow, probably.
    Kris

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Finally making it back to update.

1 garbage bag of Mega-Bloks - 75
    1 bag of kids clothes - 10
    1 bag misc. household stuff - 5

TOTAL = 90

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    What would also be interesting is 2012 fewer items in the house, so count what goes against what comes in .
    I think this idea is what would really make a difference in my house.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Finally making it back to update.

1 garbage bag of Mega-Bloks - 75
    1 bag of kids clothes - 10
    1 bag misc. household stuff - 5

TOTAL = 90
    Great job!!

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I think this idea is what would really make a difference in my house.
    Yes, that did occur to me. Because every step of the way I am bringing things in, I'm afraid. Especially right now, getting ready for the baby.

I am returning a bag of about 8 things to Target that I want to keep and would probably use, but as I have been counting down, I realize I don't want to contribute to the problem! So I am returning. But yeah, counting the stuff coming in would be true commitment!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think I would like to join. I am in the middle of reorganizing my house! Quick question - what is everyone doing with their stuff? I have some stuff that I donate - mostly clothes, but a LOT of my kids toys that they have outgrown I would like to resell because they are in great shape, and we could use the $. Would this be counted as part of it?

Yes! I am absolutely counting items that I sell. I sell everything on craigslist. If I cannot sell stuff, I will probably donate it, but I have been able to sell pretty much everything if I am patient enough and realistic about prices.

ETA: Most of the items I have purged so far I have donated.

Wow this is a great idea - I'm going to mull over doing it myself.

Melaine - you have undercounted (or mistyped): you went from 255 down to 231 then up to 251. It sounds like you are doing a great job!
    Lindsay

DD 12/06
    DS 08/09

Quote Originally Posted by ljackson View Post
    Wow this is a great idea - I'm going to mull over doing it myself.

Melaine - you have undercounted (or mistyped): you went from 255 down to 231 then up to 251. It sounds like you are doing a great job!
    Thanks....hmmm. Will check my total.

Thanks, I think my correct total is now 281Should probably add all my items to the same post so I don't get confused.

MORE: 90 Clothing items, 52 kids underwear (feel like I cheated a little with this, but they WERE 52 items!), 64 bathroom items (old products mostly and things I no longer use), 1 vacuum, 1 bowl, 1 big bag of seashells, 3 towels, 6 pots, 4 scarves, 6 books,

Subtotal: 228

New Total: 509, 1503 to go

added 12 books
    New Total: 521

added 45 baby clothes, 6 discarded clothing items, 1 lego set
    New Total: 573added 1 frame, 1 bumper pad, 3 crib sheets, 1 crib skirt, 2 hooks, 1 curtain rod, 1 rug, 2 shams, 2 curtain panels, 2 wall hangings, 2 baskets.

New Total: 591
    Last edited by Melaine; 02-03-2012 at 09:10 PM.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am so in! And I'm going to try to keep a record of stuff coming in, too. Knowing y'all are looking will keep me accountable.

Out:
    Artificial Christmas tree
    Gumbo overalls Dolly refuses to wear. Damnit.
    Purse
    Cd/DVD case
    2 DVDs
    2 or kids sandals
    7 books
    2 fans (folding)
    Basket liner
    3 sets of shower curtain hooks
    Shopping bag of toys I'm going to round down to 10
    Train set

In:
    Cutting board
    Teddy bear (Valentine for Dolly)
    Princess castle playset (Valentine for Lula)
    2 snow gloves (Valentines again!)
    2 sunglasses (for the girls in the car)
    Wax warmer
    3 wax paxkets
    2 snack traps
    6 Christmas crafts for next years Advent activities
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast