Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Is fresh garlic going to make

a HUGE difference in pesto, enough that I should cart my pregnant self and the girls out to the grocery store for the second time today to buy it? Or can I use the jar stuff which I realize will not be as good but....

How could I forget GARLIC for pesto?

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sorry, not what you want to hear, but I think so, yes. Perhaps I'm biased, because I don't care for the taste of jarred chopped garlic and I think it's a very identifiable taste, but I would be afraid that the flavor would overwhelm the pesto. I dunno...someone else might disagree, I would just prefer the really fresh flavor of fresh garlic to counterbalance the fresh basil and other freshly chopped ingredients.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

I'm sure you are right...and after buying fresh basil it seems like a total waste. It just occurred to me that I could have DH stop on his way home so that seems like a better solution (no idea why that was not my first thought).

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I'm sure you are right...and after buying fresh basil it seems like a total waste. It just occurred to me that I could have DH stop on his way home so that seems like a better solution (no idea why that was not my first thought).
    Then have him do this, and you can roast whatever garlic you don't use in the pesto and make some awesome roasted garlic mashed potatoes!

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Then have him do this, and you can roast whatever garlic you don't use in the pesto and make some awesome roasted garlic mashed potatoes!
    HOW do I do that, because it sounds awesome.

HOW do I do that, because it sounds awesome.
    Take whatever garlic cloves you don't use, preferrably still attached to the larger head of garlic (or just have your DH buy you an extra head of garlic), and put it on a piece of foil. Drizzle it with a little bit of olive oil and wrap the foil up and around it to make a little pouch. Bake it in the oven-- I usually do around 375 degrees, until the head of garlic gets a bit browned and the garlic inside is all soft and gooey. Let it cool a bit, make mashed potatoes, and squeeze the gooey garlic right out of the cloves into the potatoes, mix it up. Eat.

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Take whatever garlic cloves you don't use, preferrably still attached to the larger head of garlic (or just have your DH buy you an extra head of garlic), and put it on a piece of foil. Drizzle it with a little bit of olive oil and wrap the foil up and around it to make a little pouch. Bake it in the oven-- I usually do around 375 degrees, until the head of garlic gets a bit browned and the garlic inside is all soft and gooey. Let it cool a bit, make mashed potatoes, and squeeze the gooey garlic right out of the cloves into the potatoes, mix it up. Eat.
    Thanks...I will definitely try that.

I only use the jarred minced garlic and I use it in everything including pesto. I love it.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can definitely taste a difference with jarred garlic. It tastes...metallic or something. I have elastic garlic mincer which works amazingly - you can put in several cloves and just twist it and it crushes and minces it.
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl