niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Healthy breakfast ideas for DS

DH will have to get DS ready 3 mornings a week once I'm back in school next week. I usually make DS's lunch and he gets a cooked breakfast. Neither DS nor I find cereal to be filling, so I either make oatmeal, scrambled eggs, french toast, or I have frozen pancakes left over from the weekend.

I'll still be making DS's lunches before I go, but I need something simple for DH to give DS for breakfast. I can do oatmeal in the ricecooker the night before, DH can make eggs, sometimes we'll have pancakes.

What else can be made easily, or be prepared in advance. Also, a healthier pancake and waffle recipe would be great.

Thanks.
    Last edited by niccig; 01-19-2012 at 02:43 AM.

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

These egg muffins are fantastic! So easy and so healthful. I throw a ton of greens in mine along with broccoli and other veggies. Store in freezer and reheat on paper towel (they release water).
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Does he eat baked oatmeal? I have a pan in the oven right now that I'm going to cut up and freeze for DS's breakfasts.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mini crustless quiche baked in a muffin pan freeze and re-heat well. We also make breakfast burritos in bulk by filling tortillas with a scrambled egg/meat/veggie mixture.

Yogurt parfaits with whole milk yogurt, granola, honey and fresh or frozen berries are also easy and filling.

I haven't tried it yet but this recipe also looks promising: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...sserole-bites/

Here are a few other ideas:
    http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...eakfast-ideas/

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

cheese quesadillas? if you like oatmeal, have you tried grits? (with butter, salt, pepper, and maybe cheese.) homemade frozen muffins?
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Very simple, but a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter (add honey, banana, nutella, jelly, whatever) is fairly healthy and has protein.

hard boiled eggs, egg salad also good protein options. I'll second the yogurt parfait idea - at least twice weekly I have liberte french vanillla or coconut yogurt with granola and some berries or homemade fruit sauce.

French toast is easier than pancakes (IMO) and gets protein from the eggs.
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Thanks all.

I just did a batch of wholegrain pancakes using a combination of recipes posted here, and have frozen enough for 5 breakfasts. I have oats soaking for baked oatmeal, I'm going to cook in muffin tins and freeze. I'll do up the egg muffins or crustless quiches - those will be good for me to eat on the run early mornings.

DS does like burritoes and I'll try the parfaits too. I usually make french toast, so I can do these on days I am home. I just need easier ideas for DH to do.

Thanks so much...this will also get us out of the breakfast rut.

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just remembered another - the 1 minute flax muffins. You can find many recipes and variations on the net but basically it is ground flax seed with egg, baking pd and flavorings microwaved in a minute. You can make ahead and freeze these also.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

smoothies
    instant oatmeal
    waffles with peanut butter
    bagels with cream cheese or peanut butter
    I have cut up fruit on hand in the fridge so it is easy to grab a bowl of fruit for the kids in the am

/hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anamika View Post
    These egg muffins are fantastic! So easy and so healthful. I throw a ton of greens in mine along with broccoli and other veggies. Store in freezer and reheat on paper towel (they release water).

Oooooh, thank YOU for posting! We are in an egg rut, because 2 of the girls won't eat yolks, unless the eggs are beaten. I will try these out on Sunday night!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/