Default Can I stretch out leather boots in the width?

I have two pair of leather boots sitting in front of me. I usually wear a 9 1/2 wide shoe.. occasionally a 10.

The size 10 boot is very tight around the front of my foot. There appears to be plenty of room between the toe and the front of the boot.

The size 11 isn't tight at all, but slightly loose all round. If I put in my orthotic insole, they feel fine, but there is even more empty space from the toe to the front of the boot. The calf is slightly wider, too, but I should be able to cinch it a little tighter with the buckles.

Should I keep the 10's and hope they stretch in the width? If I took them to the cobbler, could they stretch them to make them wider? They fit me better length-wise but are too narrow.

Or, do I keep the 11's and put the orthotic in them and even though they "feel" just fine, not be annoyed they are a bit too long?

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't know if you can google the brand and see how stretchy the leather might be. The reason I say this is because the leather on my borns from 5 years ago is very different from theleather on my borns in the last year, and both of those are much less pliable feeling than my Frye's. I have some Frye's that I've been trying to stretch out, by wearing with no, and now thin socks when I'm reading, and I think I'm making some progress. It's too late to return them so I have nothing to loose by trying. Haven't tried a cobbler. Did you consider asking a cobbler for an opinion? I have always bought my borns a little long due to my need for width and that they don't tend to stretch that much. For the 11's, can you wear a thicker or even two pairs of socks for a better length fit? You do'nt want them to slide too much on your foot because they are too long.
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i know that the *calf* parts of boots can be stretched, because my dbf has to have this done (insanely muscle-y calves), so i don't see why you couldn't ask about the foot part. the worst a cobbler could say is 'no' & you're no worse off.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

mypa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You can do it at home with a shoe stretcher, something like this

http://www.amazon.com/2-Way-Shoe-Str...7270603&sr=8-6

and spray with diluted vinegar. I'd test out a small area first to make sure it doesn't damage the finish.

My parents used to own a shoe store and we stretched shoes for customers all the time with the shoe stretcher and diluted vinegar spray. Everyday they get sprayed (lightly, not soaking) and the handle of the stretcher turned a bit. After a week or so it was ready.
    Mary

DS Summer '05
    DD Fall '08

Here are the boots:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/b.o.c.+by+bo...ductRef=SEARCH

The leather is pretty soft and supple. I tried both pairs again, walked around. I can't keep the 11's. They are just too loose all around.

I am going to keep the 10's and hope they stretch. I got them for a really good price, so I am going to hope they stretch a little. I totally forgot about a cobbler... but maybe I will just pick up this item mypa linked to, that way I can use it for other shoes. My feet have grown in both length and width since having children

Quote Originally Posted by mypa View Post
    You can do it at home with a shoe stretcher, something like this

http://www.amazon.com/2-Way-Shoe-Str...7270603&sr=8-6

and spray with diluted vinegar. I'd test out a small area first to make sure it doesn't damage the finish.

My parents used to own a shoe store and we stretched shoes for customers all the time with the shoe stretcher and diluted vinegar spray. Everyday they get sprayed (lightly, not soaking) and the handle of the stretcher turned a bit. After a week or so it was ready.
    mypa, Thank you for posting this! Quick question, what exactly did they spray each day? The inside of the shoe? Or the wooden part of this device that goes into the shoe?

mypa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Try ice!

I got the same boots! I find the length and width fine but the top of the foot area is low which makes the width feel smaller. I, too, have to stretch them out.

I don't have that particular shoe stretcher, I just linked that one to give you an idea. I might've gotten mine at Walmart some years ago. I would first try to stretch them out with out any spray since the leather is on the softer side. I don't know exactly the make up of the vinegar solution, just that it smelled like vinegar (and my parents can't recall how they made it, old age! I just called them).

I just checked on youtube and found a new no cost method of stretching shoes...with ice! Double bag some water with air squeezed out, put in the shoes, then freeze! I don't have enough freezer space to put a whole boot in, but this method looks interesting.

Let us know what you decide to do and the results!
    Mary

DS Summer '05
    DD Fall '08

Quote Originally Posted by mypa View Post
    I got the same boots! !
    Aren't they so cute and comfortable? Thanks for tips.. hopefully it works out! I will wait and just wear them awhile first... they may stretch a bit from me wearing them.