Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Glider.....

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Question Glider.....

Although I think it will wait until after the baby arrives, I am looking a bit at rockers/gliders because of the outrageous quotes I have gotten to reupholster a hand-me-down chair I have. (3! all over a thousand dollars without even considering fabric!)

So I saw this one...would keep it minimal/beige.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/larkin...-glider/224074

How dirty does a glider/rocker get over the time of BF'ing, etc? Silly to get something nice?

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Mine was beige too - it looked pretty good after my first, only one noticeable small stain. It took quite a beating with my second bc he had reflux and was constantly spitting up all over, plus by that time toddler hands were touching it a lot too!

I was glad to have a really comfortable chair though and it has been used daily for 4 years. I don't think it could be repurposed as a nice chair elsewhere in my house now- they way it looks now, it will go in the basement playroom or be donated when it leaves my sons room.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Hard to know until you meet baby. Ds1 could tell the difference between a rocking chair (classic) and glider by the time he was 6 weeks old. He HATED gliders. He loved the rocker with a desperate affection and also had reflux. We wore out (seriously-to the point of break down) three rockers before he turned 3 and they were't all cheap models (just #3).

Ds2 didn't and still doens't care about being rocked/glided and doesn't have reflux so we could have skipped it entirely.

For Ds3 we bought a swivel, reclining rocker (lazy-boy) brand for OUR sanity because in the early days of long nights we liked it for us. Actually, at 38 weeks, I like sleeping in it now for a few hours a night because it is more comfortable than lying flat in the bed.

Our friends bought a nice chair with their first planning to move it to the living room later (it is really nice) but their Dc2 has major spit-up issues and it is now taking major hits.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ours is beige too and after 20 months, we have no dirt issues, but our dd was not a spitter and hardly throws up. And when she does spit up or throw up, it always seems to be on me.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

I really like the glider you linked!

Our glider is a beige Dutailier. The fabric still looks reasonably ok after 2 years. I have a feeling it'll suffer more from markers and toddler fingerprints than it did from breast milk.

My story about how/why we chose a glider is a bit unusual. We lived in a tiny condo when DD was born and had literally no space for a glider. So we didn't get one. When DD was born I had the worst pain when breastfeeding for 3 long months (this is VERY unusual btw, please don't be scared). All the non-nursing gliders/chairs just didn't work for me as they didn't provide that exact angle for my back to make breastfeeding less painful. I had to surround myself with 15 different pillows every time I sat down to nurse. I suffered for 3 long months until one day we went to TRU to buy something, DD was fussing and I sat down in one of the nursing chairs on the floor to nurse her... and after 3 minutes of nursing in that chair I told DH we're not leaving the store without one of those ugly old fashioned nursing gliders. I didn't care about the color, style, price, whatever. The pain was still there, but the chair made it a lot more tolerable.

The glider is still used every day - bed time stories, night time wakings etc. One of the best loved baby items.
    DD February 2010
    DS January 2012

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks you guys! I am glad to know to look for the reflux/spitting up - my friends' newborn didn't start until this week when he was two weeks old so I am glad to wait until after the birth to see what the baby is like.

I do think it could be a great addition for years (so basic it can go anywhere) even if it doesn't stay so spiffy. I like the chair too - especially as it will be in the LR since we are in a small one BR apt. I will ask for a sample of the beige woven fabric and try to figure out stain treaters in advance

As always, thanks for the advice!

I'm looking forward to ordering my Best Chair glider soon! (I'm just waiting for the nursery to be painted first.) I was able to go to a local store and sit in them and compare brands/styles, which was great. But I also found out that some of their fabrics are "performance," meaning they repel stains. Could be a plus to buying one that's marketed towards nurseries; though, if you really love the Ballard one, you could consider Scotchguarding it.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I bought a Little Castle glider from a baby store that was discontinuing the line and love it. It is beige with little brown dots and dark brown with little brown dots. We chose that pattern because if we eventually move it to our living room it will look good in there. I paid $525 for it which was about half price if what it would have been had it been a custom item.

Wal Mart also sells the Enchanted gliders line which is made by Little cAstke. Rhe model we were going to get which also had a recliner was $679 I think. I had actually gone to the baby store to compare fabrics when I saw the discontinued glider chairs.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ours is light colored and yeah, it shows a bit of wear now (though more on the ottoman than the chair) after more than 4 years of use (I loved it for reflux when pregnant as much as otherwise). But it is SO comfortable and handy it is in our front room.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We bought an awesome Shermag glider on CL for $125. It's beige, but the cushions come off, so I am am able to put them in the washing machine. We love it!

Save your money and check Craigslist!
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast