Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What am I missing here-Disney prices are through the roof!!!!!!

We took DD and ODS in April of 2010. We stayed at a 1BR boardwalk villa, had park hoppers, and the DELUXE meal plan (DS was just shy of three and free).

I am planning out the very same vacation right now and it is 1K more than two years ago. I know that some room rates, tickets and meals have gone up but not enough to make up 1K. this time, since we are paying for DS meals, I elected to price out the basic dining, so at the end of the day the cost of food (in the package) is $200 less than the first go round.

the only "offer" I am getting is the canned 30% off of the room. I do believe that in 2010 , I may have had a pin for more off the room but the rep said they have not reduced rooms lower than 30% in a long time.

this is a splurge for us, I don't mind paying for a nice vacation. I do mind paying 1K more for the same thing in only 2 years time.

by comparison, our flight costs are exactly the same!

Can anyone suggest a way to save money! I am "allears"!!!!!!!!!!
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are you closer to Easter this year? Easter moves around and prices tend to be high right near easter/spring breaks.

I believe WDW has gone up to 40% in the past for the villas, but I am not positive!
    Sorry!

we are pricing april 18-24 or 25-May1. both are past Easter break and pricing out the same.

both times I have called (once in fall and yesterday), the CM have told me that they haven't seen villas go down that far in quite some time. In 2010, it seemed to be a fairly regular discount.

for the first time ever, DH is ok with the prices and I feel like I am in the twilight zone. He claims that since this isn't a regular event for us, we pay what we pay. I think he has been overtaken by aliens.

I'm on the BBB for pete's sake-I need a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

In 2010 the pins and public offers for deluxes were 40% off. In 2012, the maximum discount I have seen is 30% thus far (not inlcuding pin offers).

Also, they changed around some of the disney "seasons" (value, regular, summer, Fall, Peak, Holiday) beginning with 2011. Value is the least expensive regarding room rates. When we went in Fall 2010, the week we went used to be value season...however, that same week is now Fall season which is pricier.

Also, for 2011 and 2012, there are now more room categories which add to the price as well. Mousesavers dot com has a decent explanation http://www.mousesavers.com/roomrates2012.html#notes. Scroll down below the list of hotels to get the explanation.

Discounts are actually relatively new to Disney (the last 10 years or so) and they did mention at the end of 2012 that they are doing away with the discounts. And I have seen the discounts go down in the last 2 years.
    Last edited by Tinkerbell313; 01-22-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Have you considered renting DVC points from a member? You'll save a lot that way. Disboard has a lot of info about that. Good luck.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell313 View Post
    In 2010 the pins and public offers for deluxes were 40% off. In 2012, the maximum discount I have seen is 30% thus far (not inlcuding pin offers).

Also, they changed around some of the disney "seasons" (value, regular, summer, Fall, Peak, Holiday) beginning with 2011. Value is the least expensive regarding room rates. When we went in Fall 2010, the week we went used to be value season...however, that same week is now Fall season which is pricier.

Also, for 2011 and 2012, there are now more room categories which add to the price as well. Mousesavers dot com has a decent explanation http://www.mousesavers.com/roomrates2012.html#notes. Scroll down below the list of hotels to get the explanation.

Discounts are actually relatively new to Disney (the last 10 years or so) and they did mention at the end of 2012 that they are doing away with the discounts. And I have seen the discounts go down in the last 2 years.
    Thank you, the chart helps. Good to know that our 2010 seems to be out of the norm for now
    with the discounts going away, are they going to just to to the current rack rates or will they lower rack rates to compensate for no discounts?
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Have you considered renting DVC points from a member? You'll save a lot that way. Disboard has a lot of info about that. Good luck.
    OK-I tried looking at this option on disboards and the entire board is overwhelming. I became a member for our 2010 trip and logged back on to check things out. turns out , I know the free dining pins floating around now will not be cheaper for us than a room discount, based on the room we want. So, I went into the points section and it was just a bunch of points for sale/rent/trade. how do I even know how many points I would need for our choice of resort and our time? and how much will I really save? is there a good place to figure that out before I just start asking to buy points from a stranger?
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

Default Renting points.

I always look at David's site to see how many points for my vacation. His site is http://www.dvcrentals.com/. On the left, choose the points calculater and plug in your dates. I just leave all the resorts checked so I see the number of points for each resort/room type.

You can rent from David's directly. He runs a legit business and his is a straight $13 a point.

I have been looking at renting points on the dis boards and I have been in contact with several people. We were looking to go the first weekend in May. We are only looking for a studio. But, they are already booked. And I would expect that...DVC owners can rent up to 11 months before at their home resort and then up to 7 months before at all other DVC resorts. Studios are the least expensive and work for a small family or couple.

I know what you mean by stranger...once I am in contact with someone...I stalk them...yep, I check to make sure they actually own the DVC. I look to see they have facebook account...and what they say on it if its available to read. With one owner, when I googled him. I found out that he graduated from the same school as my husband (a small private unique school). So, after talking with him on the phone, I felt very comfortable. His reference happens to live 20 minutes away from me. And his reference is a dis board member as well...so I checked out her posts. I did not rent...because again, I was looking for a studio and they were all gone.

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Here in MA a lot of schools have April vacation during the week of April 16th (other towns in New England might be on the same schedule). I don't think that is helping your cause as it looks like the last two weeks in April according to the DVC points chart is "magic season" which is the second most expensive for points, which probably translates to regular bookings too.

It likely will be very crowded as well.

Can you push your dates out to May 1 and later? If so that is "dream season" which is the middle of the five "seasons" so it might be cheaper.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by alien_host View Post
    Here in MA a lot of schools have April vacation during the week of April 16th (other towns in New England might be on the same schedule). I don't think that is helping your cause as it looks like the last two weeks in April according to the DVC points chart is "magic season" which is the second most expensive for points, which probably translates to regular bookings too.

It likely will be very crowded as well.

Can you push your dates out to May 1 and later? If so that is "dream season" which is the middle of the five "seasons" so it might be cheaper.

Good luck!
    I was using the mousesavers that tinkerbell posted and it listed the boardwalk villas at the same rates from April 15-July. i did not see the rates lower in May. We are somewhat flexible to the first week in May.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by veronica View Post
    I was using the mousesavers that tinkerbell posted and it listed the boardwalk villas at the same rates from April 15-July. i did not see the rates lower in May. We are somewhat flexible to the first week in May.
    I was looking at the DVC point chart, and you use less points during the dream vs magic seasons, which would translate to less $s if you rent points. Perhaps it doesn't follow through to booking your own rooms through Disney? I'm not 100% sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast