♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default bike helmet for 2yo (preferably B&M store)? Update #7

we got DS a balance bike for his 2nd birthday. he seems very interested in it, and was riding it a little bit inside the house. i want to be able to take him outside to ride it, but i haven't gotten a helmet yet.

anyway, i usually buy these type of things online, but the weather is actually strangely nice these days (who knows how long it will last!) and plus i kinda want to actually have DS try it on (he can be picky about some stuff) . Any suggestions on B&M stores that will carry a good helmet for toddlers? I tried looking on TRU website but it looks like most helmets were for older kids, not toddlers...and wasn't sure if they'd have a good selection in-store.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-22-2012 at 04:40 PM.

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you have a Children's hospital in your area, you may contact them and ask if they sell any. We have 2 in our area. The CH we go to for DD's appts, sells all sizes of bike helmets for kids for around 10 or less. I think it is folded into their safety program.

They may be able to help fit your DS.

I'd also call a bike specialty shop. Seems like when I was looking for DD, there were small helmets that were good to age 3 or so, and then they went to a bigger size.

Hopefully some biking parents will chime in!!

GL!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Target carries Bell and Schwin brand helmets. We have one of the Bell toddler helmets and it is fine. If you go to a bike store, they may have Giro, which makes a nice toddler helmet as well.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD has 2 Giro helmets (one for home and one for school). I really like them and they fit her head well. I would suggest going to the store to try them on. I think I paid about $18 for each on Amazon after the bell brand didn't fit very well...nor did the specialized.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

We have the Giro me2. The rodeo is the next size up and you could measure whether that would fit yet (I think it would be too big for a 2 yo.) I bought it on amazon but I think if you want a B&M store with a decent selection maybe REI? I know target carries a SMALL selection but I don't think they carry the Giro helmets.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

If you've got a bike shop nearby, I'd go there. They can steer you towards the right sizes and help you make sure it fits.

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks everyone! we went out to lunch today and happened to see there was a bike shop a few doors down. DH kept saying they probably wouldn't have anything for kids but based on the advice here i insisted he was wrong (and he was, haha). they had a nice selection of Giro helmets for kids. lots of girly ones but they did have a couple boy ones. a little pricey but i knew that Giro was a good brand so that seemed worth it. i got one that had firetrucks and monkeys on it..perfect for my DS! also i liked how they were adjustable. it seemed to pretty fit him pretty well at the small end of the setting, so it's nice that this will last a few years as he grows.

thanks everyone, this helped a ton!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-22-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Great! Glad you found one. (And, of course, the BBB knows better than dhs. Kidding!)

Catherine