Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone have a really good hot chocolate recipe?

Anyone have a good homemade recipe to share? I don't like the powdered packets of hot chocolate.

Thanks!

Alton Brown's recipe is fantastic. Easy to make, super yummy, and keeps a long time. The cayenne pepper in it is wonderful.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by tylersmama View Post
    Alton Brown's recipe is fantastic. Easy to make, super yummy, and keeps a long time. The cayenne pepper in it is wonderful.
    Ahh, love Alton Brown! I always make his guacamole recipe and it's always a hit.

Thanks for posting... and how interesting about cayenne pepper! I'm going to give this a shot

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

ooh that recipe sounds good, though i wonder if there is a way to make it dairy-free (e.g. with soymilk)...my stomach can't handle cow's milk. i wonder if you can just make it sans powdered milk and just add heated soymilk when you make it... will have to try this. i LOVE hot chocolate, and yeah, swiss miss and all those other packets just don't cut it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    ooh that recipe sounds good, though i wonder if there is a way to make it dairy-free (e.g. with soymilk)...my stomach can't handle cow's milk. i wonder if you can just make it sans powdered milk and just add heated soymilk when you make it... will have to try this. i LOVE hot chocolate, and yeah, swiss miss and all those other packets just don't cut it for me.
    I gave up dairy (I can tolerate it, but I gave it up for other reasons) but I do let myself cheat occasionally (hot chocolate or the occasional cheese).

Have you ever tried Almond Milk? I frequently buy almond milk (in the refridgerated section) and Silk makes a Dark Chocolate that is REALLY good. It's very rich. I drink it cold but I wonder how it would taste heated up?

http://www.silkpurealmond.com/products/

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Feel free to ignore me as I know you specifically asked for homemade but have you tried the trader Joe's "Sipping Chocolate"? You can practically eat it with a fork. You use just 1/3 cup of milk and then 3 tablespoons of the mix and it is so rich and satisfying. Only 90 calories too, not including the milk.
    DD
    DS

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    Feel free to ignore me as I know you specifically asked for homemade but have you tried the trader Joe's "Sipping Chocolate"? You can practically eat it with a fork. You use just 1/3 cup of milk and then 3 tablespoons of the mix and it is so rich and satisfying. Only 90 calories too, not including the milk.
    Oh wow... that sounds really, really good! Thank you

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love Alton Brown's mix! I have a big Tupperware canister full of it right now.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just googled the TJ's sipping chocolate and it looks like it is only available during the holidays. I am so bummed! It is seriously awesome. I will be buying 5 cans next year at least.
    DD
    DS

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Try Chocolate Cortes. Best hot chocolate I have had. I love the European hot chocolate recipe found on their package which uses maizena. It makes the thickest richest hot chocolate. This is the recipe for typical US hot chocolate:

http://www.chocolatecortes.com/us/en...-hot-chocolate

I always make mine with milk.
    Last edited by arivecchi; 01-23-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast