Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Spotting before AF-perimenopause?

I'm wondering if this is a sign of my hormones starting to tank aka perimenopause. I'll be 37 next month. For the past 3 monthly cycles I've started spotting 4-5 days before my period. It's usually dark brown with some red mixed in. It isn't much but enough to necessitate a panty liner. It'll last 1-2 days then stop for 2 days and then AF arrives. It's annoying because I end up feeling like AF is here for a week and a half (AF usually lasts 6-7 days). I'm not on any BC. This is new for me as in the past I'd only have a bit of pink spotting about a day before AF. I have an appointment with my PCP in a few weeks so I'll mention it then but thought I'd check in with the wise BBB for any BTDT.

ETA: my PCP follow up is on my other hosts of issues I've been dealing with for over a year...heartburn, bloating, headaches, muscle aches, fatigue, etc. I've been gluten free for 3mos to see if gluten is my issue. I've also previously asked her if hormones are a cause of the above since they happen cyclically but her response is always that so long as I'm getting monthly AF, hormones are normal.
    Last edited by wendibird22; 01-23-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Well, I don't know if it's a sign of hormonal problems, but I always have that exact same thing happen, and have for years (ever since I can remember). I'm 31 and haven't had any diagnosed fertility issues, so I don't think I'm going through perimenopause, although of course I don't really know.

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've experienced this in the past, and always have been curious about it since I did go through secondary infertility while this was happening. I finally conceived successfully after doing acupuncture and Chinese herbs, during which time my cycle was a completely regular 28 day cycle. So, it must have been a hormone issue of some sort, and the treatment regulated them. My OB just stared at me blankly when I asked about all of this, and he didn't have any kind of answer for how or why my hormones were unbalanced. After nursing and getting my period again, I went back to the early spotting issue every single month. All of this started for me at about 35. I'm now almost 40, but have had the Mirena IUD for about 6 months now, so not a regular cycle to track any longer.

Curious to hear if you uncover the cause as I never did!

jench is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

wow, I don't have any answers for you but the EXACT same thing started happening to me a few months ago. I thought I was pregnant the first time! I'm almost 41, so I am thinking perimenopause, too... Hope you get some answers...

maiaann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rin View Post
    Well, I don't know if it's a sign of hormonal problems, but I always have that exact same thing happen, and have for years (ever since I can remember). I'm 31 and haven't had any diagnosed fertility issues, so I don't think I'm going through perimenopause, although of course I don't really know.
    Same here, except I'm 33. My cycles went wonky after I quit BFing my 3rd baby. I asked the dr about it once and she brushed it off. She said if I was 40 or older she's suspect peri-menopause, but not in one's 30s. She didn't seem concerned.
    DD1 10/01
    DD2 02/07
    DD3 07/09

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh my word...I was having the EXACT same thing for the last couple years (well, now I am pregnant so it's been a few months). EXACT same issue. It started for me age 26 or 27 (I'm 29 now). No idea what caused it but it annoyed the heck out of me because AF seemed like it was lasting like 12 days with the extra spotting! Pluse for awhile I was having AF coming EVEN earlier so I swear I was on my period for half the month. SO annoying.

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have the same but it only started after I had the IUD.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, glad I'm not alone. I'm sure the doc will just shrug since I'm still ovulating regularly (I get monthly ovulation pain so I know when it's happening) and everything else about AF is the same (it's regular, flow is the same, lasts the same). It's just so annoying!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have had spotting for a few days before a very light AF would arrive on and off for years (I think since I had my DC) and honestly I didn't think much about it b/c cycles change as you get older (AF comes more frequently according to my obgyn).

This time at my annual when I told her that my cycles were long she wanted to see if I had a polyp. She says bleeding for more than 10 days is not normal. She did a vaginal ultrasound and confirmed I had a polyp. The longer cycles really didn't bother me b/c it was so minor and I use the Diva cup but she said the polyp had to come out. She also said that polyps are very common for women in their 40's. I know the OP isn't that old yet but maybe you should ask about it. I ended up getting the Mirena at the same time she removed the polyp so now I barely bleed at all except for a little spotting.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

I have had the same thing for the past year or two. I call it the dark sludge because that's what it reminds me of. I hate it. I'm 41 so it could be perimenopause for me too.
    Ha, I actually told DH today I was ready for menopause because I can't have any more children so the whole AF thing is pointless now and I am mostly tired of the breast tenderness for days before.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast