Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

We have an open closet full of shelves at the bottom of the basement stairs for most of our dry goods. We keep upstairs: (open) cereal boxes, snacks (just a few open things at a time) and baking supplies (flours and such - the more "specialty" flours are kept in the freezer, though). Things like juice pouches we keep in their boxes on the basement stairs so we don't have to go down all the way to get them.

It's kind of a pain to have to go down to the basement to get things, but it works. I would rather have a large pantry in the kitchen, but there's no space at all for it. My dream, someday, is to remodel our kitchen and dining room to make it one giant eat-in kitchen with pantry space and dedicated shelving for cookbooks, but we'd have to win the lottery first. (Since we don't actually buy tickets, it could be a while.)

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

erv917 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

One other thought--is there any way to make your corner cabinets more usable? When we moved into our house, our upper corner cabinet was just as you described yours, a "black hole." We installed a 2 level turntable thing (similar to this, although we definitely didn't pay this much!--http://www.cabinetparts.com/p/fulterer-kitchen-lazy-susans-FUL90002051/) and it made that cabinet a LOT more useable!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If I were you, I'd put a nice pot rack over the island, and get your pots out of the drawer.

Like this: Not that you would need something as expensive as Williams-Sonoma, but: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...oMerchRules-_-
    Last edited by mommylamb; 01-25-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow! Great feedback so far.

To answer a few questions:

Yes, I did suggest moving the washer/dryer to the basement and taking over the tiny laundry room as a pantry. DH is intrigued, but we know this will be costly because we don't have the electric/gas/water hook ups in the basement. This could be a more long term solution though in the future.

We don't have any space in the garage. With kids stuff, 2 large cars, a lawn tractor, snow blower, wheel barrel, etc there's simply no wall space. We will eventually get a shed, but it isn't in the budget now. Also being in the northeast I'm not sure I'd want to store food outside with such large temp fluctuations.

We do have a basement with shelving that we store food on. So the pantry doesn't have to be large, but needs to be big enough for the currently used stuff...pasta, rice, bread, canned goods (1 of each), cookies, chips, cereal, baking stuff, crackers, etc.

I'm not opposed to a pot rack...I'll have to look into it. We do have a very large (almost too large) round florescent light right above that island so I'd have to figure out how to do the pot rack around the light.

On either side of the fridge is a lower cabinet, counter space, and upper cabinet. I'd love to turn one side into a floor to ceiling pantry but then we'd lose a square of counter space...and that creates another problem LOL. But maybe replacing that cabinet is cheaper than moving the laundry...hmmm...
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What about replacing the top cabinets with the taller, 42" cabinets? You don't have too many, so I don't think it would be really cost prohibitive. It would give you a lot more storage though.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Maybe it's worth looking around your house to see if there's an empty wall with enough space to put a bench with cubbies and hooks like this:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...torage-benches

Even if it's not directly adjacent to where you come in from the garage, it would be in a single location where everyone knows where their stuff will be kept. That's what we plan to do since we don't have space directly adjacent to the garage. Do you have a buffet or cabinet in the breakfast area that could be replaced by something like this (and then maybe move the stuff in the buffet like fancy china, etc that is infrequently used to the basement)?

elbenn is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about putting in an ikea wardrobe unit in the garage? It would look nice and you would have tons of space to store food and other items. You could get the doors with frosted "glass" and you could configure it anyway you want. Here's an example:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19894778/

ETA: I see you don't have enough room in the garage but maybe you could find another place for this type of cabinets. They are not too expensive, and are sooo handy!
    Last edited by elbenn; 01-25-2012 at 01:32 PM.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    How about putting in an ikea wardrobe unit in the garage? It would look nice and you would have tons of space to store food and other items. You could get the doors with frosted "glass" and you could configure it anyway you want. Here's an example:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19894778/
    I was going to suggest the same thing! We put an ikea cabinet in our laundry room, which is also our mudroom/downstairs bathroom, for laundry storage, but it would work equally well for dry goods. The cabinet we got has glass doors, but I made (very!) simplistic curtains that go behind the glass to hide the contents and it looks nice.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20176343/
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-zb View Post
    What about replacing the top cabinets with the taller, 42" cabinets? You don't have too many, so I don't think it would be really cost prohibitive. It would give you a lot more storage though.
    You can probably get the half size cabinets to fill in the gap btwn your cabinets and the ceiling. We have the same issue. I drool over those who have a real pantry. I have to overflow not only foods, but also small kitchen appliances (ie: kitchenaid mixer, steamer, etc.) into our basement. Our mudroom was obviously built by a man. It is connect to our kitchen and not only is it our laundry room as well as the entrance from our attached garage, but you have to WALK through our messy, ugly (and yes, we actually had a shoe shelf and racks built in, but it's still not enough) mud room to get to the bathroom. I hate it and am always embarrassed when ppl come over, that they have to walk through the messiest room in our house to use the bathroom.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think replacing the upper cabinets with some that extend to the ceiling and a pot rack would be my choice. Pot racks take some work to install properly so you will be up in the ceiling and the big light could be replaced or removed then.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast