Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Okay, this is a totally out there suggestion. But, could you move your existing cabs higher so that they have the look of 42" versions. Then, build and hang some boxes that would attach to the wall under the existing cabs? You could easily integrate with molding, etc. You could put doors on them or sliding doors. May not be the least expensive option but a good way to store cans and smaller boxes.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

American Mama thanks for that very thought out reply! Candaceb, my laundry room is a bit smaller but something like that could work. We have a vanity style cabinet above the washer but the space above the dryer is empty, so a good place for some shelves. Of course, I'm 5'1" so I'll need a step stool to use them, but that's a minor thing.

I think if we can find a way to get some of the misc junk out of 1/2 the closet to make it more useable for coats and stuff, then DH will be content to keep the other 1/2 with pantry items.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

What's on the sides of the fridge? I would likely put the baking goods/cake decorating/spices in the cabinet to the right of it, then put the cans, stacked and organized to the left of it, boxes of pasta, specialty jars, etc. over there. Maybe cereal could find a home in the island since that's one of the things you may want kids to have access to. Our kitchen is smaller, but we've found a home for most everything. We do have a shelf in the attic (yikes, right!) where we put our extra pastas, peanut butter, cereals, etc. What about adding a sturdy wire shelf system to your garage so you can store the bulk items, then just refill the food cabinets as needed?

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sounds a bit like our house! New construction (well, 10 years old now), NO PANTRY! We ended up using the front coat closet (narrow, regular door) as a pantry, and the garage entryway hallway closet (wide with sliding doors) as a coat closet.

Last month, we had the garage entryway floor replaced with tile and had them tear the closet wall/doors down. My husband is creating a built-in mudroom with bench there, and our "pantry" is staying as is. He hopes to redo it sometime to be more efficient, and that other thread on the Elfa pantry redo gave me some inspiration.

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would not want to move my washer/dryer to the basement. The inconvenience would out weigh the space gained. What I did was stack my washer and dryer. I have Whirlpool HE Duet models. I bought one pedestal and then stacked the washer & dryer so the washer isn't so low to the ground. Then in the space where the dryer once was, add a large pantry closet from Ikea. I believe the space that is freed up from the dryer would be comparable to a pantry closet.

Two other space saving things that I have done is, in a small lower cabinet, I have all my baking pans, cookie sheets, cupcake pans griddle stored standing up. It is so easy to slide one out at a time. Also I discovered these spice holders which really free up a lot of cabinet space.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...e+%2Caps%2C164

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a small kitchen and even smaller pantry, maybe 36" wide. My first thought while reading the OP was use the lower corner cabinet for your small appliances to free up your island. Not sure if you have a super-Susan or a lazy Susan in it. If not, I'm pretty sure you can add it to your cabinets for not too much $$$. For pots and pans, I would consider the rack over the island. If you don't like that look, I would only keep the pots and pans I use regularly in the kitchen and move the rest to the basement or garage. If you choose to move some of the lesser used appliances and pots/pans to basement or garage, you may actually be able to fit it all in the one lower corner cabinet with a Super Susan. I am amazed at how much I'm able to fit in my lower corner cabinets.

Then as american mama suggested, I would take everything out of your cabinets and reorganize. l use several of these http://www.containerstore.com/shop/k...000700&N=74108 and http://www.containerstore.com/shop/k...&N=74108&Nao=0 in both the uppers and in the pantry.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No pantry here, but we do have quite a bit of cabinet space, both in the actual kitchen, and in the breakfast room, which is where we eat all of our meals. I hear you on the coat closet problem though, that's our problem too. We always come in from the garage into the family room, and there's no closet. There used to be a space where the former owner kept their entertainment consoles. Dh gutted it and turned into a small coat closet. But the kids couldn't reach the bar and there wasn't enough room anyway. I ended up turning 3 garment boxes from our move into coat closets for each of them. Dora and Arwyn have a clothes bar and hooks. Laurel just has hooks. They hang their jackets and backpacks in there. on the floor of the closet is a tub where they keep their hats, mittens, etc. I dressed them up a bit so they wouldn't look so ghetto, but you can still see what they used to be Not sure what we will do when the kids get bigger. We'll probably have to put in something more permanent.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

I don't have a pantry and my kitchen is about the same size. I don't buy tons of stuff. I keep certain extras in my downstairs laundry room in a pantry closet there. It's not a big deal to schlep down there once every week or so for the extra jar of mayonnaise or whatever. I also have a lazy susan type of corner cabinet with three levels so that I can keep tons of food in there.
    DD '06
    DD '14

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

We do have a pantry, but I hate it. It's 24" wide and 24" deep and has bifold doors. It's really hard to find things in the back of a shelf. So, I keep small appliances, plastic containers, extra paper towels, etc in most of it. I have 1 box of each type of cereal we eat, 1 box of each crackers, 1 jar peanut butter, etc in it. I keep everything else on a shelf in the laundry room, which is not next to the kitchen, or in the garage. It works okay for me. I keep those spots organized and can find things easily.

I have a china cabinet in our dining room that holds serving trays, etc to get them out of the small kitchen. Moving out things that aren't often used works well for us.
    Kris

How about a shelf behind the door? like this: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...-wire-storage/ or this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Pakin

DS 4/2001
    DD 6/2005

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast