HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What shoes for Disneyland?

DD and I are going to Disneyland in May. What type of shoe should DD wear?

Since we live in Hawaii, she usually wears sandals (Stride Rite). She also has 1 pair of Keen Newport H2 sandal. I'm thinking these probably aren't the best for a bunch of walking.

Sorry, while I'm at it, I'm thinking of dressing DD in long sleeve shirts and leggings during the day, and will pack a jacket for the evenings. Will she be too warm during the day?

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sneakers/tennis shoes, for sure. I've made the mistake of wearing sandals before, and I can't tell you how many times my feet have accidentally been stepped on or rammed in the back by a stroller in Disneyland. Disneyland is crowded. People everywhere. The more protected the foot, the better.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It really depends ... May can be warm but you could also end up with "May grey" (cloudy marine layer). I might put my kiddo in a long sleeved shirt but bring a short sleeved shirt in the back back just incase the sun comes out and they get hot.... tshirt doesn't take up too much space. Yes do bring a jacket for when the sun goes down.

We are annual passholders so we go often. My boys wear sandals in warm weather and tennis shoes/sneakers in cooler weather. If your DD is used to wearing the sandals then I don't see them being a problem. Are we talking sandals that strap on her feet or flip flops?

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My kids usually wear sandals (Stride Rite also) to WDW and also the one week we went to Disneyland. As long as your DD is comfortable running around in her sandals, I think she'll be fine. I would not let her do flip flops, though, as they fall off too easily (especially if you end up carrying or picking her up to get a better view of parades or fireworks). I can't speak for the weather at DL in May, as we went in September. Have a wonderful trip!!!! We just got back from WDW Saturday, and I am already ready to go back.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

May in CA is unpredictable. As PP mentioned, you could get "May Gray." You also could get temps in the 90s. This January has been very warm (TOO warm IMO).

But the likelihood of humidity is very, very slight. So unless it is one of those relatively rare days of extreme heat, your DD will be okay in leggings no matter what. I often dress DC in lightweight long sleeves for DL, though they wear Ts in the summer months. The advantage of long sleeves is that you can pass on the sunscreen except for the face.

Be aware that Anaheim CAN get quite cool in the evenings, even in May. You may need a bit more than a light jacket at night.

If your DD is used to wearing sandals all the time, that probably would be fine comfort-wise. But her feet might get cold if the temp drops at night. I would recommend tennis shoes with socks. They will be fine during the day and will provide a bit more substance in the evening, as well.

I don't know what you're planning to take as far as bags and such. It is a pain to get to/from most parking at DL, but they do have lockers you can rent if you don't want to carry around jackets and/or other layers all day.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Momto1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Yup, definitely go with sneakers/running/walking shoes.

We were there last May and DD was in a t-shirt and capris. I wore a tank top and jeans and I was too hot. But the weather can also be gloomy as PPs mentioned. I'd check the weather report if I were you and plan to pack layers - short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, light jacket.
    WOHM to DD, born 5/4/09

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Last year we went to WDW with my then 3yo DD and 5yo DS. Both wore their Keen Newports the entire week. THat's all they wear all summer too. No problems at all with walking, etc. We find keens to be fine for cool evenings with pants and in a pinch you can put socks on with the keens too.