bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What do I look for when buying a used stroller--on it's condition?

I'm seeing an Indie Twin. What specifically do I need to check to be sure it's in good shape? I'm thinking the tires, but I really need help here.

And what would you consider a fair price? I think it's a 2008. Still checking on that.

Thanks

The only thing I have ever needed to have repaired in a stroller is the brakes. So I'd check those. Just because. And ask if they have ever had anything fixed? Bumbleride just recalled a bunch of indies for a wheel issue so check the dates.

Catherine

Push it around a bit to make sure it maneuvers well. I had a defective BJCMD wheel that they replaced for me because it kept locking up instead of free-spinning (it was one of the front wheels).

Don't know enough about stroller prices to give advice on that but good luck!

Definitely find the sticker and check when it was manufactured. People are always fibbing on what year their stroller was made. (Sometimes it's not intentionally. Sometimes they honestly don't know that that stroller they got on sale probably wasn't made in the year they bought it.)

Don't the older Indie Twins have some issues? Much inferior push to the newer ones? Can't remember! But I'd definitely push it around, ask them to show you how to fold it, etc.

Kaylee31 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would check the tires, make sure the rims aren't bent or anything like that. Look the stroller frame over for any rust or cracks. Push the stroller around like PP said to see how it maneuvers, check the brakes.. I would also practice folding it. There was recently a recall on Indie twins manufactured between Jan '09 & Sept. '11, so if it's actually an '09, it will need a wheel retrofit kit (which is easily ordered from Bumbleride's website).
    As far as price, I would personally not pay more than maybe $300 for an '08 in good shape, $250-$275 would be better; maybe $325 for an '09.
    DS - 07/09 - Mr. Tempermental
    DD - 02/12 - Dollface
    New arrival expected 06/14

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee31 View Post
    I would check the tires, make sure the rims aren't bent or anything like that. Look the stroller frame over for any rust or cracks. Push the stroller around like PP said to see how it maneuvers, check the brakes.. I would also practice folding it. There was recently a recall on Indie twins manufactured between Jan '09 & Sept. '11, so if it's actually an '09, it will need a wheel retrofit kit (which is easily ordered from Bumbleride's website).
    As far as price, I would personally not pay more than maybe $300 for an '08 in good shape, $250-$275 would be better; maybe $325 for an '09.

Quote Originally Posted by Multimama View Post
    Don't the older Indie Twins have some issues? Much inferior push to the newer ones? Can't remember! But I'd definitely push it around, ask them to show you how to fold it, etc.
    I haven't head of anything. The canopies aren't as large and there is an extra step in the fold. Otherwise the stroller is just as fabulous as the rest. I owned a used '08 indie single and a new '09 indie twin.

Don't know if you have already checked out the stroller or not but this is what I would look for on an '08.

• The frame was changed in '09 so you may not be able to get a fabric or canopy replacement so make sure you are happy with the condition of the fabric. That being said I put an 09 fabric and canopy set on a single '08 indie and it wasn't perfect but it fit really well. Can't vouch for the twin though.
    • A plus of the '08 is the recline is a bar recline. The current models have strap reclines. Supposedly they switched to skip a step in the fold and because the strap reclines don't break as often. So check each seat and make sure they work properly.
    • Make sure the wheels retain air and specifically ask if they lose air often. Mine didn't ever have a problem but people on Amazon have mentioned it.
    • Check the handlebar. Jiggle it. My '08 was very loose and it annoyed me to no end. Make sure you are okay with how much it gives. My '09 never had this problem.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks so much for the help! I ended up not seeing it after watching a review of it and realizing they didn't add a lock for when it's folded until 09. I hate when strollers don't lock when folded! But I will hopefully find another one that's a newer model and will be going through this thread before seeing any others I find--thanks for all the help! There's a lot more to check than I realized!