niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Does anyone freeze crockpot meals?

I have the Test Kitchen's slow cooker recipe book, it looks good, but the serving sizes are more than we eat in a meal. I know I can freeze chili, soup, but how about a cooked stew, chicken legs/breasts or 1/2 a roast? Any advice on how to freeze and how to reheat.

I'm thinking of doing 1-2 recipes a week and will use the leftovers the following week on nights we're home late.

Thanks

Pretty much anything can be frozen (with the exception of cooked pasta unless it's undercooked, or else it turns mushy).
    My kids are picky, so I almost always cook for DH and I and eat the rest the second day, or freeze the rest and reheat later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've found that most crock-pot recipes freeze pretty well. Definitely stews will work great, and anything that has some "sauce" to it (and I find many crockpot recipes end up liquid-y, or with some "sauce") I haven't tried freezing 1/2 a roast before, though.

I generally freeze my leftovers in glass storage containers, since I almost always use the microwave to reheat and don't like doing that in plastic. If I plan ahead, I'll pull something out the night before and stick it in the fridge, so it starts to thaw, then heat it up in the microwave. Otherwise, I just use 50% power for awhile to defrost.
    Lizi

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Thanks. I'll give it a try with more things.

I have 2 dinners of lentil stew in the freezer, and tonight I'll be adding 2 dinners worth of black bean chili.

My recipes for roasts call for 2 x 2lb roast - so that is a lot of meat for 3 people, 1 a child. I'll try one out and see what happens with freezing.

Nicci

When I've done it before, I pour the leftovers into gallon size freezer bags. That way they take up less space in my freezer than a big tupperware. I take them out the morning I plan to eat them and thaw them in the fridget (if I forget to do that, I put the freezer bag into a bowl of warm water). Then I pour the contents into either a skillet or a microwave appropriate dish heat and serve. I have done this with a pork roast (but the roast literally falls apart in the slow cooker so it wasn't a big hunk of meat anymore) and stew. It is so yummy.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012