twodogs is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default First trip, totally overwhelmed!

We are planning a trip in early May, first time to WDW with our 4 and 6 yo daughters. I have read here, easywdw.com and I am about to faint from informational overload. I am hoping some of you experts can narrow things down quickly for me, as I can't read anymore!! I think we have decided to stay in Bay Towers since we need a one bedroom (not a regular room, but one that closes off), and we plan to spend most of our time at MK (thus on the Monorail via the Contemporary). We may do one day at AK but none of the other parks this time around.

I am trying to figure out if we can/should do a package or just go through the disney site to book the room. I see packages through SWA and AA, and we will likely fly AA as that is the best service from where we live. But many don't include Bay Towers (nor does Costco Travel). So, any suggestions on best places to book packages?

How do I book any character meals? Online? Is it too late for that?

Thanks for the help and for saving my eyesite and sanity from reading too many boards!!

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did early may in 2010 when my girls were 4.5. It is pretty low crowd, so you can probably get some adrs. We called and got park fare brunch the day of one morning.

No clue about bay lake.

If you are there during flower and garden, I recommend epcot. They had a special tinkerbell area and some great play areas (obviously check to see if there this year)

We also love animal kingdom, but mileage varies.

You can book adrs online

Typing on my kindle and it's a pita, so I will check back later...

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We went in May last year and I didn't book ADR's until Feb. I'd do it ASAP though. We only did one and got an ok time, but sooner is better. A tip I learned was if you can't find a table for the number in your party, search for one more. It worked great for us! There were no tables for three but plenty for four. When you get there they just ask ow many are in your party.

Right there with ya!

We're going the third week in May and we just decided to go last month. I was able to book character meals I wanted, no problem.

I wouldn't stray from easywdw. Right now I feel like I have too much info so try to stick to that sight. (okay, I check disboards for a few specific things but they overwhelm me....)

Good luck! You can do this...and stay sane!
    Tami, mom to 2 boys
    DS1 - 2/05
    DS2 - 5/07
    DH - BillK

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

BLT is great! We've always rented points from a friend so unfortunately I can't really help with suggestions on getting a package. BLT is even a quick (less than 10 minute) walk to MK so if you don't want to wait for the monorail, it really is an easy walk.

I would try to book some ADRs now. I actually like to eat dinner near our resort (vs at the park) as it makes it more flexible on which park to go to if you aren't park hopping. We go back to the resort to swim and get cleaned up for dinner.

We like Chef Mickey's, The Wave and California Grille at the Contemporary. It also is easy to get to the Grand Floridian (Park Fare, Narcoossees and one other) or Poly (we haven't eaten there).

The Cinderella Happily Ever After Dinner (or something like that) at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian is great if your DDs like Cinderella/stepsisters/Prince Charming.

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We will be there during the first week of May as well (April 26-May 6)! We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge to celebrate DH's return from deployment.

I would make your ADRs as soon as you can. I'm sure you will still get what you want but you might not get the best times.

We booked directly through Disney and it has been just great. I wouldn't hesitate to do that. You can ask them directly if there are any discounts that apply to you for your dates.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you signed up on the Disney web site yet? If not, do so (all you need to do is give them an idea of the time you're looking at), so that if they release any PIN codes for a % off the room, you're more likely to receive them. We booked through AAA last time & might again, just for the guarranteed % off of the room. But I'm a bit of a planner, so it killed me to not have "control" of the reservation, too. So, I haven't decided what to do next time.

I agree with the others that you'll want to make any dining reservations soon.

Oh, and you can look into one of the DVC rental companies (I think Dave's Vacation Club or something like that sponsors a lot of the Disney related sites.) to see what kind of deal you can get on renting the room through a DVC member. I'd feel more confident going through that type of site than contacting a random member directly, like you can do at the DIS boards.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

twodogs is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks so much for all of your replies! I just booked the BLT one bedroom and did some ADRs. Did Cinderella's royal table, chef mickeys breakfast and akerhus lunch. How long are you at each character meal, all in including waiting?

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Generally, including waiting, it's about 1.5-2 hours. Most places are an hour-ish to get all of the characters to come around, etc. Then add in the wait to get a table.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)