Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by val01 View Post
    The other night, I was heating marinara, and thought I remembered that I shouldn't put tomato based products in my stainless steel. I still have some old pans and pulled one of those, but they need to go too. Is there anything else you can't or shouldn't cook in stainless steel? Maybe that would help determine what exactly I would use the enameled stuff for.
    As I understand it tomato sauce is fine in stainless because it's considered a non-reactive metal. More on the difference between metals here:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-d...ctive-a-108699

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    If you plan to put the cast iron in the oven watch for the type of knob on top when buying. If you buy something with a plastic knob you likely need to unscrew it for higher oven temps.
    Le Creuset sells metal replacement knobs. Also, I believe you can also just wrap foil around the knob.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Aishe View Post
    Le Creuset sells metal replacement knobs. Also, I believe you can also just wrap foil around the knob.
    You can, but only if it's lower than a certain temp (I don't know off-hand) ... I've done this with fry pans to make frittatas and have been fine.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

val01 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Le Creusets

So with the enameled cast iron - does anyone have the saucepans or grill pans? I know the dutch ovens are popular, but I don't hear much about use with sauce pans or grill pans. Any idea on the best place to buy them? We have an outlet about an hour away, but it would have to be an amazing deal for me to drag the toddler there!

TIA!
    Valerie
    ~Valerie, mom to S. (1/30/07-8/30/10) and Z. born 2009.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2