Default Stroller for Newborn and 16mo - Bob or Baby Jogger or ??

I am due with my second this spring, and my first will be 16 months when she comes. We currently have a Bob and a Maclaren umbrella, and the combination has worked out really well for us. We use the umbrella for shopping and the Bob for jogging, trips to the park, zoo, etc. We used the Bob exclusively until he was big enough for the umbrella.

We're debating what to get next. We love our Bob, but the double Bob is very expensive and heavy, as well as too wide for shopping. I am willing to pay for it, but I'm not sure it will be sufficient for us. If I could get the Bob and then a double umbrella and have those 2 cover all of our uses like our singles do, that would work for me, but the double umbrellas seem to all be side-by-side, which does not seem conducive to shopping.

We went to buybuybaby and they recommended the Baby Jogger City Select double. However, their store model was one that had been returned because an airline broke it. This makes me seriously question its durability, and I have big concerns about spending this much on a stroller that is going to break the first time we fly with it. My other main concern is that my currently 13 month old (who is 50th percentile) didn't look like he had all that much room to grow. It also seems like we'll need to buy a lot of accessory pieces, but again, if this is the only stroller we need, then I'm willing to do that.

Any advice? Is the BJCSD the way to go? Is there a different stroller we should be considering? Thanks in advance.

In a word. NO.
    I would check out the B-Ready if you want an inline or check out the bumbleride indie twin or Baby Jogger CIty Elite Double or upcoming BJCMD Gt...
    All will give you air or foam tires and a better push than the BJCSD
    ETA - you can also look at the MB Duet - seats are pretty small, but for your age spread would work.
    Last edited by poohbear; 01-29-2012 at 06:17 PM.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The City Select is definitely one of those "great in theory, but most people who have it hate it" strollers.

I like doubles with a single handlebar, not a double like an umbrella (for example, the Mac doubles). BJCMD is my favorite car double by a mile. I have a Mountain Buggy Urban Double for neighbhorhood walks.

Side-by-side doubles are fine for shopping. The best ones are the same width as a wheelchair, meaning you can get them through most any door or aisle, unless you're in a very urban environment.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5