LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Tips for running (a mile...just a mile..if that)

In bootcamp, we run a mile during the first session and then a mile during the last class. In between the 4 weeks we'll do a 1/2 mile maybe twice?

Anyway...i simply can't do a mile. It's 20 laps because we're indoors. Between running/walking/breathing...it's impossible to track those laps.

I asked if I could do a 1/2 mile, and for me that would be a huge incentive so that's what I did this morning. My ultimate goal will be to beat myself on the 1/2 and the 10 laps is much more manageable..not only that, but i'd be at lap 15 and everyone else was done. done. done. I counted my 1/2 mile today but I did actually complete 3/4.

So...any tips on getting through the 10 laps? I can usually run 3 of them, then alternate walk/run.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Does good music push you at all? I have a few songs that I run faster too- thus get done faster. I find if I just make myself go a little farther before walking/ slowing down, I do much better. I was training for some longer runs and tried my friend's method of run for 3 minutes, walk for 1 minute. That could work for you. It's nice to have a goal. It didn't work for me because if I was making good progress and feeling good, slowing down started me on a downward spiral. Even if I have to slow to a slow trot, I do better than if I walk; my stride needs to have a semblance of a jog even if walking could very well be faster.

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I really want to try bootcamp sometime. So many of my friends love it!

For the running make sure you are not starting off too fast. Start with a slow, manageable pace. If you go too fast at the beginning, you'll have a lot of trouble later.

Also, consider a run/walk alternating pattern from the very first lap.
    Check out jeff galloway's website - he is a big proponent for run/walk - even for half and full marathon distances:
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html
    Like for ever lap around the track, walk say, the last 1/4 of the lap or whatever works. But start those walking breaks at the beginning before you are exhausted.

Good luck!

I run ALL distances alternating running & walking. So for you, maybe look at run 2 laps, walk 1/2 lap.

I've completed both full and 1/2 marathons this way. For me it is time. I start running 5 min, walk 2 min for a week or so. Then add run time...run 6 min, walk 2; run 7 min walk 2 min. I do this up to 10 min run, 2 min walk. If I'm in better shape, I ultimately get to run 10 min, walk 1 min.

Having that short breather makes it possible to not feel like I'm dying the entire time. The trick is that you have to do a faster paced walk...not a leisurely stroll.

A few things....

When running breathe in for 3 steps and out slowly for 3 steps. This will help even out your breathing.

I was always told at my bootcamps to try not to walk, they said do a super super slow jog if you need to but to keep running! It's always harder for me to start running again after walking so this was good advice for me.

Doing laps kinda stinks especially indoors but fast-paced music will carry you a little further usually, just be sure not to keep speeding up with the beat of the music.

Every other lap or so pick a mark a little ways in front of you and sprint to it (or just run as fast as you can) then slow back down to a normal jog. Eventually get to where you can do it every lap and then twice in a lap, maybe every long side or something. It doesn't have to be far but just enough to push yourself a little bit!
    Finally #2 due April 17, 2015

DS - 8.22.08
    allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts
    outgrew wheat!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree with interval walk/runs. I would HIGHLY suggest the Couch to 5K program. www.c25k.com It is baby steps to help you reach the goal of running a 5K (3.1 miles). It sounds super intimidating, BUT it really is baby steps with walk/run intervals and is so gradual that it is not overwhelming. Good luck, you are on the right path! Oh and I agree that pumped up music helps a lot! I like pandora's workout channels.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My bootcamp we have straws and drop a straw for every lap. The straws are short so easy to hold on to (think cut down bar straws). Go slow. Start slow. Keep going slow. Come up with something to do while running (get bored easily) so I sometimes do easy math count up by 4 to 100 or something silly or I plan supper. Run with someone -- see if someone will run with you that helps a ton.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I love the straws idea!! Brilliant!

The last time the group ran a mile....i settled for 1/2

My DS1 and I went to our high school track last night to run/walk and I did a 1/4 mile running/jogging which i've NEVER attempted before. Walked another 5 laps after. It's baby steps.

Since DS1 is now onboard (he has to slim down/lose/watch) with exercising, i'l have an easier time I think doing stuff WITH him because we'll encourage each other and make races/games out of it.

Also, the support of the other boot campers is incredible! Very supporting.

We did 15 laps on Friday in prep for our mile next week. I kept remembering the suggestions here....slow and steady. I completed i think 12 or so laps before the trainer told us to stop BUT i did it completely jogging - NEVER walked. I was pretty psyched and i'm much more confident in myself for the mile next week (and signing up for 4 more weeks....).

So a huge THANK YOU

Have you heard of Jeff Galloway's training? He has an easy 5K app for the iphone that is great. You basically jog with built in walk breaks. It helps to prevent injury and sets a good pace so that you actually can end up going faster...