Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Runners: Recommend a running vest/contraption to hold keys, phone, etc.

Can anyone recommend something that I can use to hold my stuff (keys, phone, lip balm, ID). My phone is an iphone, and with the case it's pretty big/bulky.

The shorts that I use to run in don't have pockets. The running hoodie that I run in doesn't have pockets. I wore a fleece vest this weekend (over it) and it was a little too hot, so I'd like something lightweight.

I seem to remember someone linking to a vest here, but I can't find the link.

Or should I think about one of those Spibelts? ARe they comfortable?

ETA: I'd also like to be able to store a pair of gloves or my fleece headband in case I get too hot.
    Last edited by artvandalay; 01-31-2012 at 10:45 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I personally have grown to live wearing my Camelback for runs. It holds everything AND provides easy access to water (one less thing to carry). I have an Amphipod belt too but it annoys me by moving around too much. I had it just right for one magical day and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I personally have grown to live wearing my Camelback for runs. It holds everything AND provides easy access to water (one less thing to carry). I have an Amphipod belt too but it annoys me by moving around too much. I had it just right for one magical day and that's it.
    My DH has a Camelback that he uses for mountain biking. His is a little large, though. Is yours a smaller one? Is it heavy to run in? I'll have to look into this, thanks!

Are you a distance runner? I usually don't carry water because I can't run longer than an hour.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

An hour is my max too. . I bought my Camelback for hiking and one day decided to try it running. I was pleasantly surprised! I have a smaller, girlie one. Not heavy at all and I barely notice it.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Art, since getting my iphone (with otterbox), I have had the same issue. The runner's belt that I used to love for my palm pre no longer works for the very large iphone. Last time I ran wearing a fleece pull over I thought I would just stick my phone in the front pocket, but it jangled around so much, I got so annoyed with it and started running oddly, with my hand on my belly to keep the phone from moving around. So, lots of commiseration for you, since I am in the same boat. I'm hoping someone has a good suggestion.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I like my small camelback for trail runs/hikes and sometimes long regular runs.
    Mine is like this one, but from about 2 yrs ago so the styling is somewhat different:

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recre...1-Annadel.aspx

For short runs, I use a spibelt - it fits a surprising amount - I put my iPhone, a car key and an inhaler and could fit a little bit more I think.

Love my spibelt! I have a dual-pocket - my iPhone (in giant otterbox) fits great in one pocket, and all the rest of my crap goes in the other. Sometimes I organize by "stuff I plan to use" and "stuff I need just in case." ie, gels/gu/endurolytes in one pocket, and phone/emergency cash/id in the other. That way, I'm in no danger of losing my id if I need to fuel.

I also have a vest similar to this one from athleta. It doesn't show it on the website, but it has giant pockets in the back in addition to the handwarmer pockets. It's great for cool winter weather, but too warm for anything above about 50.

I think a bike jersey would work great too - they have those same kind of bottomless, elastic pockets across the back.

Instead of the spibelt, I will run with a camelbak fanny pack (FlashFlo) on longer runs. Holds all my junk and water and then some.

ETA: I also have a pair of capri tights from lululemon that have little pockets at the waistband, a larger pocket on the back, and then big, stretchy pockets on the thighs. I got them on sale, and I don't see them on their website any more.
    Last edited by pb&j; 01-31-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

I've been struggling with the same issue, especially while training for my half marathon. My longer runs lately I need to take my ipod, phone, key which is actually a transponder so I can't tie it to my shoelaces or anything. I also want to take my energy chew things along for tomorrows 12 miler and my half in less than two weeks. I need to figure something out...

I do have a running skirt that has a zippered pocket in the back and I think I can get everything in except my phone. (my ipod will clip onto my waist)
    Finally #2 due April 17, 2015

DS - 8.22.08
    allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts
    outgrew wheat!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ry, thanks for the dual pocket spibelt recommendation. I too worry that if I open the pocket to mess with my phone, my other stuff could fall out and get lost. The dual pocket seems like a good way to prevent this from happening and sounds like it's worth the extra cost. Do you find that the belt bounces around at all? I have a runner's world belt that I really liked, it had an elastic strap, the only annoying thing is that it tends to shift above and over my lovely belly pooch, argh, but I guess that is my own fault.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

I was going to try this belt which has two pockets, instead of the spibelt. It's been sitting in my shopping cart for a while I just haven't pulled the trigger...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003E0KM7Y

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast