Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goals for 2012

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Goals for 2012

Kris and I thought we could start a 2012 goals thread, so people can keep track of what they want to get done around their house this coming year. You don't have to post a long list, even just 1 or 2 things that must get done is a good start.

Happy Organizing and Purging and DeCluttering.
    Last edited by niccig; 01-31-2012 at 02:28 PM.

I'll start.

Most of my 2011 goals could be transferred to 2012 as they did not get done. I'm going to try something a little different this year. My list is going to be shorter, and I'll add more when they get done. I don't know about anyone else, but I get overwhelmed when I look back at the list in December and see so much that didn't happen.

* spend 1-2 hours a week on a house project. Doesn't matter what it is, just something that needs to get done, and I don't have to finish it off, just get it closer to completion.

My projects:
    * Paperwork
    Need to get all the paperwork together for 2011 taxes, so DH can fill out the accountant's forms.

* Yard
    Paint gate, back doors - half done just need to finish off
    Weed front garden bed.

* Garage
    I'll start with taking the piles I've sorted to recycling center, Goodwill and Freecycle.

* House
    Organise Freezer

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm in!! I've got to post to keep myself accountable this year.

House
    1. Declutter 2012 items! (45 down...)
    2. Use up the various bottles of shampoo, lotion, beauty treatments before I buy more
    3. Restart the flylady system

Life Balance
    1.Get my “groove back”
    2. Reconnect with my friends to rebuild my support network outside DH/kids/work

Health
    1. Lose 20lbs (30 would be even better, but lets start small and build up)
    2. Floss daily

Meal Planning
    1. Cook and eat in at least 4 nights a week. Trying to get this established now while still out on maternity leave

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    * House
    Organise Freezer
    I don't know if these would work for you, but I organized our freezer a few weeks ago using these itso plastic bins from Target, and I love how it turned out. We have a side-by-side fridge and freezer, so our freezer's fairly narrow, but I was able to get 2 of these on each freezer shelf. They work so well to corral all of the bags of frozen filled pasta, bags of soup or sauce that I've frozen, frozen veggies, boxes of nuggets, etc. I guess if you have a bottom drawer freezer their use might be limited, but otherwise, they're great. And cheap.

http://www.target.com/p/CLEAR-QTR-BI...=sc_qi_reviews
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    I don't know if these would work for you, but I organized our freezer a few weeks ago using these itso plastic bins from Target, and I love how it turned out. We have a side-by-side fridge and freezer, so our freezer's fairly narrow, but I was able to get 2 of these on each freezer shelf. They work so well to corral all of the bags of frozen filled pasta, bags of soup or sauce that I've frozen, frozen veggies, boxes of nuggets, etc. I guess if you have a bottom drawer freezer their use might be limited, but otherwise, they're great. And cheap.

http://www.target.com/p/CLEAR-QTR-BI...=sc_qi_reviews
    THanks for this. I have a side by side freezer too. I think these will work well. My freezer is only 10" wide internally, but I could get one on a shelf and then stack some things beside it. Just doing the frozen vegetables would help. Off to Target today.
    Last edited by niccig; 01-31-2012 at 03:06 PM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

3rd Floor

* Clear out all the things I should have done before DD was born - old papers, miscellaneous "keepsakes", gifts I'm never going to let her use, etc.

* Clean grubby bins that have been holding various bits of miscellany so they can be properly used as storage

* Re-wash & prep DD's outgrown clothes for long-term storage

* Re-wash & prep my maternity clothes for long-term storage

* Throw out all unused crafting or junk in storage closet

* Toss broken ottoman as it's unused

* Toss/FreeCycle unused TV/DVD combo (13", color, good condition)

* Evaluate twin sized bedding set & either hand down to cousins, nieces or toss

Bedroom - My Clothes

* Check socks for fit/wear; toss where applicable

* Toss ill-fitting lingerie (even Betsey Johnson cami & tap pants set *sob*)

* Re-evaluate tees in 2nd dresser

* Toss too-narrow dress shoes

* Find a buyer for too-narrow cowboy boots

* Toss dresses with stretched-out necklines (due to nursing or pumping while wearing - ack!)

Living Room

* Clean floor (sweep, vacuum, mop)

* Assemble toy bins for DD's toys (and teach her to clean them up)

* Repair or Replace Storage Ottoman (leg is broken; DH says he'll fix it)

* Move DD's high chair BACK to Dining Room

* Clear out "cubby" that collects random junk

* Figure out if "cubby" can be patched over & re-painted without ripping out the wall (probably not, but a girl can dream, can't she?)

Dining Room

Start using dining room table as a table, not as a storage location

Kitchen

* Bulldoze and start over? Seriously ... research new cabinetry, starting with learning how to measure the space properly

Outdoors

* Update fence

* Rip out dead tree in front yard

* Figure out summer plantings (as bulbs wilt in heat)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Overall:
    Refinance (DONE TODAY!!!!!!)
    Finally do our wills

House stuff:
    New floors on main level
    have driveway repaved
    trees trimmed
    Get rid of maternity clothes forever
    get rid of baby clothes/items as DS2 outgrows them. I can't wait to have the storage space back that these things take up!

So many other house things that I'd like to do, but they all cost $$$, and I'm not sure it's realistic to expect they'll get done this year.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Good idea getting this in writing might help me keep them a little better.
    -Get a will and trust
    -plan out meals every week
    -clean out the toys and get rid of things no longer played with (this one is very important because our house is wall to wall toys right now)
    -reorganize the garage but get DH on board this time (did it alone a few years ago and DH paid no attention to where everything went and its back to being a huge mess)
    -lose 15 lbs
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

OK, I have new motivation to get the house in order. Here's my to do list...

-Purge all baby/toddler stuff.

-Get rid of all old college textbooks. I did a purge a few yrs ago, but I still think I kept more than I had to.

-Purge kitchen junk, get rid of small appliances we never use, esp food containers, they seem to breed like tribbles, I hate getting rid of them, since they can be used for non-food storage, but then they just build up. I also have a ton of baby plates and utensils that we just don't use anymore.

-Purge old bed linens and towels.

-Go through bathroom cabinets, purge expired and unused products.

-Purge more of my wardrobe, I've done it this past yr, but need to be more liberal about it. I also need to purge purses and shoes.

-Garage purge! This is mostly DH's junk.

-Basement, the basement is a big headache, it needs to be both purged and re-organized, LOTS of toys need to go, my stuff needs to be re-organized, I don't even want to think about all of DH's crap.

-We have very limited closet space in our house, I just basically need to get rid of stuff that we don't use, so we can better utilize our storage space.

-Our, "study" is a mess and isn't being used as a study right now. I need to re-organize it, yrs ago I was in homeschooling mode, so ended up with a lot of curriculum materials that I am no longer going to be using. Once the study is de-cluttered, I can move my piano from my parents' house to my house (they said I can have it).

Household projects (giving myself a two yr time frame on these, de-cluttering is a bigger priority):

-Repaint master bathroom.

-New flooring for both upstairs bathrooms.

-Complete renovation of hideous pink hallway bathroom upstairs (I'm not exaggerating when I talk about how PINK it is, toilet, tub, sink, wallpaper AND floor, are all frickin' pink and as luck would have it, I ended up with 3 boys and no girls.)

-Paint upstairs hallway.

-Re-finish kitchen cabinets and replace hardware.

-Tile backsplash in kitchen.

-Re-paint sunroom doors.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Good idea!

For now, my main goal is to fix the little things that are driving DH crazy. Touch up paint, scrub baseboards, wash walls and interior doors, etc. Our carpets could use a good cleaning as well.

I'd also like to sand & refinish our front door, and the bathroom vanity.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast