sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Autism and Potty-Training

Our very dear friends' son was just diagnosed with mild autism. He is 5.5 and has not rec'd any services as the parents did not realize and were also struggling with alot of denial (there are other severe disabilities in their extended family and it is overwhelming to shoulder, I can see that). The parents are opting to homeschool so I don't think any services or support will be forthcoming. He is not talking beyond a few words and still in diapers with little progress on the PTing front.

So, two questions. The first is whether there is a way to pass on resources or ideas or is that inevitably going to be offensive to the parents? My thought was along the lines of "you mentioned last time we talked some PTing difficulties and I found this great book and am passing on the title."

The second is whether there IS some resource, book, method etc. for potty training children with autism.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There is such a book- Toilet Training for Individuals with Autism or Other Developmental Issues. I didn't need this to get started as DD did pretty well on that, but it helped with some of the issues we ran into along the way such as using public or unfamiliar toilets, and holding problems and the resulting constipation.

I think your suggestion is good, but maybe phrased "I happened to see this and didn't know if you already knew about it."
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with PP's wording.

Also many communities do have resources available to families outside the public school system. There are social skills classes and SN parenting groups that are available privately, sometimes at little or no charge. I'm not sure how to find them, but they do exist and might be an option for your friends.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! Will use that excellent wording elliput. Unfortunately, I think this may be a case where the reason for homeschooling is to avoid the "label" and going into a special ed classroom and even rec'ing services. The parents have been really struggling with this. Our boys were born within days of each other and truth to be told I have struggled these years watching their very different development . . . I can't imagine how hard it is for the parents. This does not to my admittedly untrained eye seem to be "mild" or high-functioning autism. Hopefully I am wrong about that.

The situation is even more complicated because their relatives told us about the autism diagnosis at a recent party but the friends used most recently the term "speech delay." So, I am not even sure what I am supposed to know here. Sigh.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014